High blood sugar levels

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been feeling quite poorly lately and have been back and forwards to doctors who cant seem to find out whats wrong. I have had various blood tests which the only one that showed anything different was a slightly raised white blood count, which may or may not have been to a UTI, which I was tested for and given antibiotics, but then told I didnt in fact have a UTI. Feeling very stressed, not eating properly and sleep is fairly non existent. I have been taking Codeine (for the pain, which really makes me feel weird) and ibuprofen. Nothing is working. My blood sugars are very high every day, which no one seems interested in. Has anyone found that any of what Ive said makes their blood sugars spike? TIA Sorry forgot to say im Type 2.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been feeling quite poorly lately and have been back and forwards to doctors who cant seem to find out whats wrong. I have had various blood tests which the only one that showed anything different was a slightly raised white blood count, which may or may not have been to a UTI, which I was tested for and given antibiotics, but then told I didnt in fact have a UTI. Feeling very stressed, not eating properly and sleep is fairly non existent. I have been taking Codeine (for the pain, which really makes me feel weird) and ibuprofen. Nothing is working. My blood sugars are very high every day, which no one seems interested in. Has anyone found that any of what Ive said makes their blood sugars spike? TIA Sorry forgot to say im Type 2.
Sorry you are feeling bad
Stress, lack of sleep and being ill can all have impacts into blood levels and then having higher blood levels can make you feel not right also

When you say high, what levels are you seeing?

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry you are feeling bad
Stress, lack of sleep and being ill can all have impacts into blood levels and then having higher blood levels can make you feel not right also

When you say high, what levels are you seeing?
Hi Andy, Thanks so much for replying. I have always had fairly high sugar levels in the morning sometimes as much as 8, but at the moment, they are over 9 and this morning 10.1 Which is very high for me in the morning.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm so sorry you are feeling unwell. Both illness and stress spike blood sugars, so I am not at all surprised that your levels are high.

How high are they? (Am unhappy that high levels are being ignored by your medical team but one person's high is another's low.)

Reactions: oldgreymare

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm so sorry you are feeling unwell. Both illness and stress spike blood sugars, so I am not at all surprised that your levels are high.

How high are they? (Am unhappy that high levels are being ignored by your medical team but one person's high is another's low.)
Hi Ellie, its not so much the sugar levels that are being ignored, but they are, its the feeling unwell and nobody really listening to what Im saying. You know when something is not right in your body and they just seem to be putting it down to stress and a bad back! My bloods this morning are 10.1 which is way way high for me.

Reactions: oldgreymare

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi Ellie, its not so much the sugar levels that are being ignored, but they are, its the feeling unwell and nobody really listening to what Im saying. You know when something is not right in your body and they just seem to be putting it down to stress and a bad back! My bloods this morning are 10.1 which is way way high for me.

What meds are you on for the T2? I've had a quick look at your previous posts and see you've been T2 for 6 years? Though levels of 10 aren't high for an undiagnosed diabetic if you've been running normal levels I can imagine that they would be adding to feelings of illness.

What's your carb intake like at the moment? (No criticism if it's high, as many people like to manage their T2 via meds, but your levels may be a trigger that you need more meds.)

And there is always the (hopefully low) chance that you are a misdiagnosed T1 who finally needs insulin....

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What meds are you on for the T2? I've had a quick look at your previous posts and see you've been T2 for 6 years? Though levels of 10 aren't high for an undiagnosed diabetic if you've been running normal levels I can imagine that they would be adding to feelings of illness.

What's your carb intake like at the moment? (No criticism if it's high, as many people like to manage their T2 via meds, but your levels may be a trigger that you need more meds.)

And there is always the (hopefully low) chance that you are a misdiagnosed T1 who finally needs insulin....
Hi, Im on one metformin 500mg and one dapagliflozin 10mg a day, plus one for cholesterol and one for blood pressure. Im not the best at sticking to a low carb diet, I will admit, but at the moment Im hardly eating anything as Im so worried at what is actually wrong with me. I am still trying to eat three times a day, but they are small portions at the moment. I guess the high sugars could be contributing to not feeling well, but these have only been over the last few days, when what ever is wrong with me has been going on for a while now.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I guess the high sugars could be contributing to not feeling well, but these have only been over the last few days, when what ever is wrong with me has been going on for a while now.

Hmm, in your position I'd look at the side effects for dapagliflozin and see if they ring any bells... How long have you been taking it? Those sugars aren't really that high in the global scheme of things and if your illness predates them then they are less likely to be the issue, though they could be a symptom.

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hmm, in your position I'd look at the side effects for dapagliflozin and see if they ring any bells... How long have you been taking it? Those sugars aren't really that high in the global scheme of things and if your illness predates them then they are less likely to be the issue, though they could be a symptom.
Ive been on the metformin ever since I was diagnosed and probably about two years for the dapagliflozin. Thats why I keep mentioning the high sugars in case they have something to do with whats ever wrong with me. I know GP's are just that, they are general medicine, but its frustrating when I get a pat on the head and told I need counselling for my anxiety. I need answers to whats wrong with me, thats what will make me feel better. Im thinking maybe I should try and mention it again to my Diabetic Nurse, but everytime I try to talk to someone they make me feel a little needy!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had, or could have had Covid?
Even quite a while ago as Long Covid?
Or the vaccination .?
Plenty of anecdotal reports of feeling unwell and raised bg following either