1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

High blood sugar

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by pinky_69, Jan 21, 2019.

1. pinky_69

pinky_69 Type 2 · Active Member

I feel like I've let myself down. I was diagnosed 3 years ago h1bc of 50. I lost for stone and got it down to 39 which I was so proud off. My last test was 15 months ago and it had gone up to h1bc 42. Had a test last week the doc called today it's up to 48! I have gained 9lbs in weight and Christmas was hard this year. I feel a failure. Any words of wisdom to make me feel better would be great

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

Well I wouldn't say you were a failure. We all have moments when life throws a curve ball and we all at some point, gain weight loose weight, get low HB1Ac's and high ones.

Thing is, you have done it once before, so by taking small steps you can achieve those low numbers again :) nothing is beyond what you can do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My words of wisdom are that if what you describe is a failure, then I bet that 80% of all T2s in here are failures. See my bio for documentation that I am.
    I know what it's like, though, so plenty of hugs to you. You can get the good numbers back. You care about your health, or you wouldn't be reading and posting in here, and anyway your numbers aren't that bad.

4. pinky_69

Thank you, yes I do worry my mum is diabetic and my nan had both legs off to it many years ago and died at a young age.It scares me so I know how important it is to not take this desase for granted. I'll take a look at your bio

• Like Like x 1
  5. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I know. It's scary, isn't it. When it boils down to it that's what drives me too. That and the fact that I fear getting old and suffer the possible consequences of T2. My maternal granddad had it too, and died from a heart attack when he was in his 60es. I'll be 60 in two years ...
    My bio is right under this post. It's probably way too long, but my excuse is that I was diagnosed 14 years ago :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Hi @pinky_69 , whilst I appreciate you are disappointed, sometimes these things happen. You've gone up a bit, but you haven't gone into outrageously dangerous levels, so don't get despondent.

Do you know what has made your numbers go up, or is it a mystery? I'm not asking you to respond to those questions, and I don't ask to ridicule you, as some things we can't avoid, like stress, illness, andother condition getting in the way, to name just a few. It's not all about us getting it wrong, or eating dreadfully more than is sensible.

I don't know what you did in the past to bring your numbers down, but just try to get yourself a bit organised and use that as a starting point, and look for something you can sustain.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Deborahdesylva

Deborahdesylva LADA · Member

Hi, I think I'm very similar! Warned at level of 46 some years ago - improved diet but mostly ignored despite my mum being type 2 and her grandfather before her. Told diabetic at reading of 50 18 months ago and did 8 week Dr Mosley lost 1.5 Stone and hbA1c down to 40 ....yeah....cured!! Allowed myself to relax and year later levels crept up to 49 last oct. Finally bought monitor last weekend to test blood glucose and nearly died of shock! ~on here all the time since last weekend learning from the experts and getting much needed support. I am already feeling more positive and less confused. I have begun planning all the delicious high fat meals I can have guilt free! That helps a lot with the low carb bit - I love chicken with gruyere cheese and cream yum ... Defo having that at the weekend! Having this blip will enable us both to have a second success story, see that thinking positive!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. pinky_69

Hi I think it was Christmas I had more red wine, cheese, crackers and nuts. No sweet things. I was just in a different zone but I'm determined to get back on track. Thank you for your kind words

9. pinky_69

I'm sure we will get there. It's just very hard when we love food! Well I do good luck x

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. LeftPeg

LeftPeg · Well-Known Member

That's not terrible. Mine went up to 103 before I did anything about it. You seem to have gone mildly off-track, but you can get back on fairly easily.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook