Type 1 High blood sugars during football matches

terrier3

I've started wearing the freestyle libre and am getting much better info on my blood sugar ups and downs. I play football once /twice a week and during matches my blood sugars always shoot up (towards 20.0 mmol/l) and I can't seem to work out why.

Having tried varying breakfasts (I usually play weekend mornings), varying time I eat, increasing both short acting (just means I go low and have to eat before anyway) and long acting (no impact), I don't seem to be able to fix it.

Has anyone had similar? Any ideas on things to try to help lower the BG during sport, especially football? The same thing doesn't happen if I go out for a run.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My levels don't go that high, but when I do high intensity exercise my levels shoot up, it's due to your liver releasing glucogen to fuel you (similar to the Dawn Phenomenon ) but my levels drop back quickly afterwards, and to a lower level than I started with

Reactions: terrier3
D

Deleted Account

As I understand it, two things happen when we exercise: our liver releases glucose to give us the energy and we become more efficient at using insulin.
Depending on the type of exercise we do, determines which of these two has the biggest impact.
I believe with stop-start type exercises, like football, the glucose release takes priority. Whereas when running constantly, it is more likely to be the more efficient insulin usage.
Once our BG reaches a certain level (this is different for different people), we become insulin resistant. If this happens during your game, your basal insulin is unlikely to be sufficient to keep your BG stable and it will rise further.

I find climbing has a similar affect to football so I would always aim to have a BG in the low 4s before I started climbing.
This may sound low to many people but as my BG would rise, it was always safe - I never hypoed during climbing.
I took insulin to achieve this target at least 90 minutes before I started on the walls so, although there was some onboard, it was not at its peak. And, I avoided eating for two or three hours beforehand.
I tend take to a tea break after about 90 minutes when I would check my BG again as it may start falling around this point. Although it is only half that time, you may find it useful to check at half time during your game.

As our liver has released more glucose during exercise, our reserves are reduced so it is likely that your BG could fall over the next 24 to 48 hours.

Unfortunately, our bodies are not consistent. They may become used to your footie and this may change over time. At which point it will be back to the trial and error drawing board.

By the way, have you had a look at www.runsweet.co.uk? This website is dedicated to exercise with type 1 diabetes. It may have some additional hints or suggestions.

Reactions: terrier3

Adybaby80

I've just finished an hour's 5-a-side and checked my bloods before was 8.7 after a meal about 1.5hrs before playing and after was 13.8mmol! Had a bath and checked an hour after finishing and am at 5.0

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @terrier3, Apologies for being late to the party!! Posting as s a diabetic on insulin and not as professional advice or opinion: My BSL certainly shoots up during and remains high for 2 hours plus after vigorous exercise.
The reason given to me for high BSLs during vigorous exercise and sometime after was that the adrenaline released in this form of exercise causes release of stored sugar from the liver.
Part of the flight or fight reaction. And football, being combative or at least competitive, fits this pattern. And any exercise involving fierce concentration , a form of stress, will also do it (e.g. rock climbing ,(@helensaramay has commented in this in another post).
And whereas in a non-diabetic, insulin is automatically released to prevent this glucose from spiking the BSL too much, we diabetics have to anticipate this and find ways to best deal with this without the benefit of our pancreas gland's function.
I was also told that for some of us the BSL instead stays about the same or drops during this time. Generally we fit one of these three patterns* and that determines what form of strategy we need to deal with exercise.
But .. it seems that we are all likely to see a drop in BSL some 6 hours (+/-) after the exercise as the muscles, having drained part or all for their in-house stored glucose, plus used amounts in the blood stream thanks to our liver (think of muscles as engines with a fuel (glucose) tank alongside, separate to the liver , and when that fuel is low after exercise , the muscles (engines) repair themselves and then 'syphon' glucose back into their fuel tanks from the universal fuel (glucose) distributor which is the blood stream). For some reason that appears to be or is maximal around the 6 hour mark (^ hours is only a general figure)
So ensuring that we allow for this 'refuelling' we need to adjust things to avoid hypos after the exercise.
For some who fit the drop in BSL during exercise pattern (see three patterns* above) with suitable advice from their health team they eat suitable food beforehand and top up afterwards with some food PLUS make adjustments for the fuel syphoning approx. 6 hours later, and for others, again suitably advised by health team, it maybe food an hour or more after exercise PLUS the 6 hour provision and for me, it is ensuring I do not eat food/sugar beforehand, keep before exercise BSLs in the low figures as per @helensaramay and watch BSLs carefully, and again with suitable advice, adjust my insulin to prevent hypos around the 6 hour plus mark. I can vouch for the increase in insulin sensitivity from exercise for up to 24 hours in my case.
Another proviso: For some 'mysterious' body chemistry reason, if one starts vigorous exercise with a BSL > 14 mmol. the liver releases more glucose and the BSL just goes way up, I feel sore and gain absolutely no benefit from exercise, just feel sick with a high BSL to contend with.
From my experience and the pattern I have, I indulge in less vigorous exercise as this has less effect on my BSL during exercise.
I also noted that any form of excitement (upset, shock at hearing bad news, watching an exciting movie with send my BSL as the adrenaline, whatever the cause for its release sends the BSL up. I have to actually increase my insulin in anticipation of attending a movie, watching an exciting TV show. One of the trials of diabetes!
Best of luck with your sport.