High blood sugars metformin

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I come from a family who put on weight easily, both father and mother, so low carb eating was natural to them, I learned in my 20s that it was going to be a way of life if I wanted to keep slim.
Unfortunately the low fat mantra started up and I was bullied into it, and just got heavier and heavier each time I gave in to the instruction to do low fat high carb eating.
On low carb it is easy to control weight, particularly fat, and also blood glucose. I started of at Hba1c of 91 after almost two years on a 'cholesterol lowering' diet, which got me to almost spherical and type two diabetes.
Do stop eating fruit as snacks - it really is not a good idea, and cereals are going to push your glucose levels high as well. I don't know what a 'clean' diet is, but filling yourself with foods which raise your blood glucose when you are getting such high numbers is not a good for your long term well being.

leec32

I come from a family who put on weight easily, both father and mother, so low carb eating was natural to them, I learned in my 20s that it was going to be a way of life if I wanted to keep slim.
Unfortunately the low fat mantra started up and I was bullied into it, and just got heavier and heavier each time I gave in to the instruction to do low fat high carb eating.
On low carb it is easy to control weight, particularly fat, and also blood glucose. I started of at Hba1c of 91 after almost two years on a 'cholesterol lowering' diet, which got me to almost spherical and type two diabetes.
Do stop eating fruit as snacks - it really is not a good idea, and cereals are going to push your glucose levels high as well. I don't know what a 'clean' diet is, but filling yourself with foods which raise your blood glucose when you are getting such high numbers is not a good for your long term well being.

Thanks for the reply, yes i have cut fruit out since yesterday and already my bloods seem to have dropped slightly, it has been around 14.0 - 16.0 and i have just checked now after been out for a walk with the dog and they are 11.4 so hopefully that is helping, and i am going to try the keto diet also.

leec32

Hi. First Metformin never does a lot but keeps the docs happy as they are doing something about the diabetes. Low-carbing is always number one. Bear in mind that if you are losing weight unexpectedly and are already fairly slim then being T1 not T2 becomes a possibility and there are two tests for that. Steroids virtually always raise BS so avoid them when you can

I needed to loose some weight anyway so they have done me a favor, i can only think it is the metformin anyway, i could always get me weight down when working hard in the gym but never this much, around 1 stone, the weight loss has been over time since starting the metformin in march/april time, now it has flat lined and staying around the same.