High blood sugars NOT going down

Donz86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I am getting a little worried this morning. My bloods have been all over the place the last two days and I am not feeling great because of the same. They have been high for no obvious reason. Last night when I was going to bed they were 9 which I left as I had taken my Levemir and sometimes my blood can drop during the night. This morning as soon as I woke I tested and they were 16.8?? So when I got up I had my Levemir and I also took 4 units on novorapid to bring it down a bit. All I had was a glass of water and two pain killers for a pain in my head. I am at work over an hour now and decided to check my blood just to make sure it didn't drop too much because I took novorapid and didn't eat, it was 15.9 so it has gone down very little. I don't know why they are staying high, I am usually very sensitive to insulin and my blood drops quite quickly.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Donz86 High BG levels can be a result of stress/illness/bad site injection/bad insulin.

I am guessing that as your at work you don’t have a fresh insulin pen with you but getting a fresh pen would be my first choice then monitor for illness and follow sick day rules if your not coming down.

Try not to stress though as this will aggravate your bg levels, drink lots of water and monitor every hour, there will be a reason though.

D

Deleted Account

Unfortunately, when our BG gets high (usually above 14), we become insulin resistant and need more insulin than usual to bring it back down.
As you say you are sensitive to insulin, take care when doing this and test more than usual.

There are many things which affect our BG - food, exercise, stress and illness are the usual ones. And, as we see our BG rise, stress tends to increase which increases our BG and we end up in a bit of a cycle. So, try to relax and your BG should come down.
Your body may be fighting off some bugs which are causing the high over the last few days. You may not have symptoms which means your bug-defences are doing well.
Alternatively, there maybe something wrong with your insulin. Have you tried changing it and your pens to check?

Donz86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Donz86 High BG levels can be a result of stress/illness/bad site injection/bad insulin.

I am guessing that as your at work you don’t have a fresh insulin pen with you but getting a fresh pen would be my first choice then monitor for illness and follow sick day rules if your not coming down.

Try not to stress though as this will aggravate your bg levels, drink lots of water and monitor every hour, there will be a reason though.

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I haven't tried different insulin pens- I will defo try that when I finish work. I changed my strips as I realised they had expired on the 31st of Dec so thought maybe that was why. I have been drinking lots of water which I don't usually do. I am not stressed at the minute but have been very stressed over the last few months, my father in law passed away two days before my wedding in October , the same week my daughter fell and had a suspected fracture to her pelvis. The funeral was two days after the wedding (which was also the day after storm Ophelia!) then only Christmas week my new husband was brought into hospital with a bleed in his stomach and had a very low blood count and needed 5 blood transfusions, They also discovered when he was there he had a clot in his leg.

Donz86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Unfortunately, when our BG gets high (usually above 14), we become insulin resistant and need more insulin than usual to bring it back down.
As you say you are sensitive to insulin, take care when doing this and test more than usual.

There are many things which affect our BG - food, exercise, stress and illness are the usual ones. And, as we see our BG rise, stress tends to increase which increases our BG and we end up in a bit of a cycle. So, try to relax and your BG should come down.
Your body may be fighting off some bugs which are causing the high over the last few days. You may not have symptoms which means your bug-defences are doing well.
Alternatively, there maybe something wrong with your insulin. Have you tried changing it and your pens to check?

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I haven't been feeling too well in the past few days but had put it down to the high blood sugars. Maybe its not. Have sent hubby to the chemist to get me ketone strips as I have ran out. Hopefully they will be ok!

Reactions: Kim Possible

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Donz86 sounds like you have had a very stressful time recently - hopefully a new year brings a better one for you. Your strips wouldn’t be an issue as just out of date the expiry is more precautionary. It sounds like you may be fighting an infection if you have been feeling unwell, but of course I am not a doctor so best advice would be to try the fresh pen and careful monitoring, hope you get sorted soon.