High blood sugars on weekends

Ash94

Hi, I'm pretty new to being on insulin, I think it's been around two weeks now. I am struggling on the weekends to keep my sugars low, I'm usually hovering around the 9 mark and I don't know why that is.

I take lantus @8pm with 9 units everyday
I take novorapid 5 units (usually) with each meal, up to 11 if meal is carb heavy.

I usually take 5 units with each meal at work and that seems to bring them right back to the same readings as they were before the meal (around 5-7) but on the weekends it's a completely different story, I don't know if it's because I tend to stay up quite late and tend to be less active than I would be at work but I don't really eat that differently, usually around 30g of carbs per meal with 4 hours inbetween except for my last meal of the day which would be around the 50g mark. But my 5 units which would easily cover these meals at work are not effective for the same meals on the weekend, I've even upped the dose to 8 sometimes out of frustration and it seems to have no effect.

Can anyone let me know if I'm doing something wrong? I'm 24 if that matters.

Thank you.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi ash i find my numbers tend to rise of a weekend i put it down to being less active of a weekend as i work monday to friday

Reactions: Ash94

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
and tend to be less active than I would be at work

That could have a lot to do with it, Ash. Glucose gets into cells to be used as energy in two ways. One is insulin. The other is called glut4, glucose transporters.

When we exercise, and that doesn't just mean going to the gym, it can mean just walking about a bit, glut4 are chemicals in cells which come to the cell surface in response to muscles contracting to let glucose in.

So, if you're exercising less at the weekends, glut4 isn't going to be in play as much, so bg will be higher.

As time goes by, you'll become more aware of how exercise needs to be thought about when deciding on insulin dose - I'll usually tweak doses a bit depending on how active I've been in the last few hours and how active I'll be in the next few hours - and you'll become more confident about taking additional correction shots to nudge a high level back down.

Reactions: therower and Ash94