High blood sugars

janeh76

My diabetes is controlled by diet and at my last diabetic review the nurse said it is well controlled but this past month my diet has not changed but I can't get my blood sugars below 13 I'm scared if I go to the docs they will put me on insulin I've heard such bad things about it

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
My diabetes is controlled by diet and at my last diabetic review the nurse said it is well controlled but this past month my diet has not changed but I can't get my blood sugars below 13 I'm scared if I go to the docs they will put me on insulin I've heard such bad things about it

Welcome to the forums.

It might help if you give us a clue about your daily diet?

@daisy1

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi
Can I ask what type of diabetes you've been diagnosed with and for how long? (I'm guessing T2?). What sort of diet have you been using? As a T1 who's been on insulin for 48 years I can say I love insulin, but I understand that it may seem scary if you've been coping with diet alone. (But if your diet hasn't been low carb there may still be an opportunity for you to improve things by diet. ) Also, it's possible that you've been misdiagnosed and you're not actually T2 but are in fact LADA: in this case insulin will definitely make you feel a lot better.....

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi,@janeh76, if you are diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes there are a number of tablet medications and an injectable type of medications often prescribed before insulin is considered.