1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

High blood sugars

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by janeh76, Sep 25, 2018.

1. janeh76

janeh76 · Newbie

My diabetes is controlled by diet and at my last diabetic review the nurse said it is well controlled but this past month my diet has not changed but I can't get my blood sugars below 13 I'm scared if I go to the docs they will put me on insulin I've heard such bad things about it

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forums.

It might help if you give us a clue about your daily diet?

@daisy1

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi
    Can I ask what type of diabetes you've been diagnosed with and for how long? (I'm guessing T2?). What sort of diet have you been using? As a T1 who's been on insulin for 48 years I can say I love insulin, but I understand that it may seem scary if you've been coping with diet alone. (But if your diet hasn't been low carb there may still be an opportunity for you to improve things by diet. ) Also, it's possible that you've been misdiagnosed and you're not actually T2 but are in fact LADA: in this case insulin will definitely make you feel a lot better.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi,@janeh76, if you are diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes there are a number of tablet medications and an injectable type of medications often prescribed before insulin is considered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook