High blood sugars

JordySloan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fell off the bandwagon massively recently and I’ve been peeing 30 time’s per day and severe dehydration. I am aware this is serious, if I drink water and exercise and go back on a strict low carb diet, will my blood sugar go back to normal over a few weeks or will I 100% have to go to the hospital? Please help.. thanks.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Do you have a blood testing meter? Can you check for ketones with urine testing strips?

We can't diagnose here but the biggest risk with high blood sugar is diabetic ketoacidosis. Basically, there isn't enough insulin in your blood and the body breaks down fat for energy, resulting in a fatal (if untreated) build up of acid in your blood.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/

It's unusual but not unknown for T2s, (though not for the many T1s that get initially misdiagnosed as T2), and you need to get medical help urgently (dial 111) if you think you might have it.

My suggestion is that you ring 111 for advice. They'll tell you whether you need to go to hospital or just consult with your GP. It's quite possible that you'll be able to take temporary medication which you can reduce when/if low carb returns your levels to normal.

Good luck.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JordySloan - Sounds like you've got a bit of work on your hands, one way or another.

For T2 diabetes, what we eat and drink is key to how our blood glucose performs, so getting back on-track with your diet will be a great help. If you test your blood glucose at home, it would be useful to understand how high those numbers are.

My knee jerk reaction is to suggest you take it steady when reducing your blood glucose, but that depends what the numbers are now. If your numbers are mega high, you might need a bit of extra help to get the numbers down safely.

Taking meds, or taking additional meds need not be forever. Some just find they need a bit of extra help to get themselves going.