High Bloods after eating Fruit and Fibre for breakfast

timewind

Does anybody on here suffer from high Blood sugars, after eating Fruit and Fibre Breakfast Cereal?

Today my Bloods were 4.5 pre-breakfast, so I had my breakfast before injecting. I then gave myself 6 units of Fiasp insulin and 26 units Tresiba.

Now my Bloods at 10am read 17mmol. I have seen this happen before and wanted to know how I can stop this from happening. I had to give myself a 6-unit correction dose, and I have had to do this a lot recently despite carb counting. I am 58 and have been T1 for 43 years. I am also on holiday and am at home.

Any thoughts Please?

• Hug
Reactions: jjraak

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a type 2, this is exactly what I would expect. That cereal is about 18g of carbs for every 100g. I take it that this is a recent change for you. Could you be developing insulin resistance and so reacting in a way more typical of those of us with type 2 or prediabetes?

• Agree
Reactions: lessci

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Does anybody on here suffer from high Blood sugars, after eating Fruit and Fibre Breakfast Cereal?

Today my Bloods were 4.5 pre-breakfast, so I had my breakfast before injecting. I then gave myself 6 units of Fiasp insulin and 26 units Tresiba.

Now my Bloods at 10am read 17mmol. I have seen this happen before and wanted to know how I can stop this from happening. I had to give myself a 6-unit correction dose, and I have had to do this a lot recently despite carb counting. I am 58 and have been T1 for 43 years. I am also on holiday and am at home.

Any thoughts Please?

Fruit and cereal are high carbs best avoid

Reactions: Pura Vida

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the previous comments from @mansingh01 , and @Lobsang Tsultim have missed the fact that you are Type 1, treated with insulin which you correctly dose by carb counting. Their comments refer to type 2.
After 43 years, I am sure you are well aware that cereal (and other carb "heavy" foods) need not be off the menu.

As I think you do, I think it is odd that Fruit and Fibre should spike you so high with the correct dose. I wonder if something else is going on. Are you unwell, is your insulins (or pens) working ok. I would be tempted to change my pen/cartridge if I saw this kind of unusual rise. Definitely keep a close eye on your levels for the rest of the day and maybe try again tomorrow if it is a one-off??

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you.

It's back to Cornflakes then.
I have 1 Shredded wheat with a small amount of oatmilk, literally about a tablespoon but it's never a straightforward calculation, this morning my BG was 7.5 which I'm happy with but gave myself 5 units of Humalog with my SW an hour later my BG was 17 going up so whacked in 3 more units at other times it's around 7.5 or 6.5 but never consistent so not sure of any advice, sometimes it's a mystery.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the previous comments from @mansingh01 , and @Lobsang Tsultim have missed the fact that you are Type 1, treated with insulin which you correctly dose by carb counting. Their comments refer to type 2.
After 43 years, I am sure you are well aware that cereal (and other carb "heavy" foods) need not be off the menu.

As I think you do, I think it is odd that Fruit and Fibre should spike you so high with the correct dose. I wonder if something else is going on. Are you unwell, is your insulins (or pens) working ok. I would be tempted to change my pen/cartridge if I saw this kind of unusual rise. Definitely keep a close eye on your levels for the rest of the day and maybe try again tomorrow if it is a one-off??
Totally agree we need to be careful how we respond to the different types of diabetes when giving opinions/advice but @Lobsang Tsultim did have a valid point that T1 can become insulin resistant and in fact it’s known as double diabetes I believe

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Totally agree we need to be careful how we respond to the different types of diabetes when giving opinions/advice but @Lobsang Tsultim did have a valid point that T1 can become insulin resistant and in fact it’s known as double diabetes I believe
I thought I addressed this point that we don't suddenly become insulin resistant by eating Fruit and Fibre for breakfast one day when we did not have insulin resistance the day before when we ate cornflakes.
Insulin resistance is something that builds over time.

Reactions: MargaretR

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I addressed this point that we don't suddenly become insulin resistant by eating Fruit and Fibre for breakfast one day when we did not have insulin resistance the day before when we ate cornflakes.
Insulin resistance is something that builds over time.
It’s still a valid point, as is yours - in fact I think I agreed with you did I not? It is a valid point that A T1 can become insulin resistant, the OP in fact states they have had to do this a lot recently. I thought I addressed this point Please don’t “speak” to me as if you are lecturing me either I don’t appreciate it, thank you

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: In Response

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You are incorrect. Read my post again. What I suggested was that a possible cause could be increased insulin resistance which is a known issue which some type 1s develop. The OP mentioned having to do a lot of correction doses recently despite their expertise and experience. Your suggestion they could be suffering from an illness is another reasonable suggestion though I would have thought that would be something they’re familiar with.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a type 2, this is exactly what I would expect. That cereal is about 18g of carbs for every 100g. I take it that this is a recent change for you. Could you be developing insulin resistance and so reacting in a way more typical of those of us with type 2 or prediabetes?
If it's Kelloggs more like 69% carbohydrate.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There seems to be a few with the same name. Think I quoted Sainsbury’s one. If it’s Kelloggs, then yeah that’s way worse.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There seems to be a few with the same name. Think I quoted Sainsbury’s one. If it’s Kelloggs, then yeah that’s way worse.
I think they are all well over 60% carbs.. dried fruit and grains aren't really low carb in any way.