High carb bolus?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
How do you all deal with high carb foods? Such as pizza, Chinese etc??

Reactions: Knikki
D

Deleted Account

With a pump, I use the combo bolus for high carb meals.
Pizza works well over four and a half hours with about 30% up front.
Pasta works over about 3 hours with about 50% up front.
I still need some more trial and error with Indian.

With cake, I bolus all up front because my pump does not allow combo bolus stacking and I struggle with a single slice but I try.
Bread and cheese is similar to pizza ... but not as hot (unless it’s cheese on toast).

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't eat stuff like that too often because I'm usually too lazy for at least 6 hours of actively having diabetes instead of a relaxing evening, but I do love the occasional Chinese take away. So when I do I try to eat relatively early to give me more hours to get things stable again before bed. I start with a substantial bolus, say a little less than I think I need but a bit more than I'm comfortable taking at once. And then it's testing a lot, both with Libre and test strips and correcting quite agressively for the next 4 hours. Which gives me another 2 hours of correcting more subtle to see if things look stable enough for bed. Sometimes it's worth it, though :hungry:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Pizza I would use a dual wave bolus 60/30 over 3 hours seems to work pretty well. I love pizza as well. Chinese again dual wave 50/50 over 2 hours....a fair bit of guesswork in the carbs for that. Cake (mmmmm) square wave over 1 1/2 hours. Boy I like Mike the pump

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
After 48 years of T1 with fairly poor control (and being told what to eat or not to eat) being to be able to eat what I want and get my A1C to 47 is pretty impressive in my eyes

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77 and Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I usually do a 50% bolus a half hour before and the other 50% when I eat. This has worked really well for me. There is usually at most a 20 point spike. If it's a higher fat meal with high carbs, then I will do 25% when I eat, 50% a half hour later and the last 25% the hour after I eat. The trick is remembering that last dose. For me that would be gaucomole and (tortilla) chips, taro donut, almond cluster "cookies". My Omnipod allows an extension but only one, so I have to remember that third dose or otherwise I'm on my exercise bike trying to bring down any spike as fast as possible!!!

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The mantra of eat what you want and dose for it is not always wise.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No one says it is.
It is however wise to read up on how other people tackle unusual meals to give you ideas about approaching them. Nothing wrong with declining the more difficult meals, but nothing wrong with learning about dealing with them either.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being chinese and growing up in a chinese takeaway, not that I ate off the menu everyday, I think it depends on what it is. For example: if it’s chinese food the savoury kind - stir fry veg and plain rice, I don’t split dose it. If it’s pancake rolls, sweet and sour veg, whatever fried extras, I tend to do 50/60% up front and do the remaining after 30mins. For pizza, I’m still working on that but so far 50% up front and remaining 50% after 30 mins could go either way for my blood sugar. Nandos, McDonalds and TGI fridays I have no issues with because I’m only tackling chips or wrap or a burger bun for carbs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

Doesn't it depend?
On what you want? How often you want it? What the rest of your lifestyle is like? ...

For example, I eat (homemade, thin crust) pizza when I want which is about once a month. I eat it often enough to have worked out what the best dosing pattern is for me. I enjoy vegetables a lot. I am slim. I exercise a lot. I feel no guilt eating pizza.
If I was overweight, did not exercise and wanted pizza every night. That is a very different scenario.

And all those "depends" have nothing to do with having diabetes.
Which kind of relates back to the DAFNE course where the "FNE" stands for "For Normal Eating".

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

BUT finding out how different people dose for the higher carb meals is helpful and gives an insight into different methods/approaches on bolusing

Reactions: kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Please read: :
Efficacy of carbohydrate counting in Type 1 Diabetes: A systemic review and meta-analysis Lancet Diabetes Feb 2(2) 133-140 2014. Brand-Miller et al
And re-see: The Fat Emporer podcast: E 25 Dr Lustig - Processed food
'Normal eating' is a misnomer, a misguided term. DAFNE does not define it is any way that is guaranteed to be healthy.
It is a food-industry influenced concept, developed over the past 50 + years through advertising and promotion, not for health reasons but to maximise profit.
The above podcast makes that clear.
Eating anything you like is where the PHNE in DAPHNE comes in.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@kitedoc isn't a podcast someones opinion? Just as it is on here?

EDITED--- I have not listened to it as yet

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
But it is an expert opinion based on years of clinical experience and decades of research about diabetes, metabolic syndrome, nutrition, statistical analysis, biochemistry, history, and epidemiology.
There are also other podcasts and papers.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ladies and gents, please let's not go round the tired old "my way of eating's better than your way of eating" loop again.

I remind you all of rules, B3, B4 and several others in this regard. Thanks.

Reactions: ert

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Unfortunately when posting I cannot check what I have written as the reference on site.
Maybe put https:// in front?

Reactions: ert and Knikki