High carb day - a day in hospital

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope @IanBish doesn't mind me using this thread to post this. He nearly missed his signs, as did a good friend of mine who thought it was bad indigestion and went for a 2 hour walk at 2 am. He had emergency surgery just 4 hours later!
It's even more difficult for women, apparently

Reactions: IanBish

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as emergency measures go, the only thing you can do, is ring 999 and make sure they know you or the patient are FAST positive. Time is CRITICAL, billions of neurons are dying every hour.
Any possible measures for @IanBish , would have killed me. And vice versa. It takes a CT scan to know if it's a clot or a bleed.
With my third stroke/TIA i took the educated guess that having had 2 clots, so would this time be. At the time the blood thinners i was on, just happened to be what used to be the clot buster given in hospital, only a dose 8 x greater. So i sat quietly with the phone, and monitored myself. One hour later there was a slight improvement, so i took one extra tablet only. I am not advocating that ANYONE should do what i did. I had the "luxury" of past knowledge to base assumptions on. Since this happened, i have encountered quite a few people who did the same as myself, BUT all of them like myself had been through it before.
Apart from the use of blood thinners, or clotting agents, or catheter lab intervention on the rarer occasions, the only real treatment is rest/sleep and time.
NEVER TAKE CHANCES, IF SOMETHING FEELS NOT RIGHT CALL 999. At the least they will put your mind at rest, at best you get the care needed as quickly as possible.