TomGeraghty

Hi all,

My first time posting & sorry it’s so long…

I’ve noticed 2 scenarios, with similar themes (i.e. unhealthy so don’t happen very much), that cause me to have extremely elevated (and stubborn) glucose readings for hours:

1) Eating a large amount of any food – sometimes purely carb e.g. lots of tiger bread & sometimes purely protein/fat e.g. All you can eat meat restaurant – I’ve read this has been referred to as the “Chinese restaurant effect” before

2) Eating a large fatty meal with very little carbs (e.g. kebab meat without the pita etc)

(Note that I don’t have near the 230g average recommended daily carb intake but I am by no means a “low-carber” so I am not fuelled by nutritional ketosis)

When these circumstances happen, I can have completely normal readings between 0 to 4/5 hours after eating and then suddenly a sharp rise in glucose, even if the large amount of food I’ve had has been purely carbohydrates which you’d expect to have the most pronounced affect <4 hours after eating.

Has anyone else seen anything similar?

I’ll give you an example: I was walking around London a lot yesterday and my glucose was dropping most of the day which is expected (yet annoying) due to the increased physical activity. By the end of the day we were exhausted and very hungry, and we grabbed a Burger King on the way back to the hotel. This is obviously a mix of carb/fat/protein but I had a lot of it – don’t judge I was hungry haha. I sized all the carbs online, worked out my units from my ratio as normal and injected. I’ve heard 40% of protein can be converted into glucose so I expected maybe ~20g of protein to potentially affect me overnight which would be roughly (at worst case) a rise of 6mmol. However, I noticed I was ok for 4 hours after eating then suddenly I start climbing and kept climbing right the way up to 18mmol. I caught this peak at 5am whilst going to the toilet & I corrected with 6units and went back to sleep only to wake up to 15mmol. I then took 10units (2x what I would normally) and, after 4 hours, everything had settled down.

It’s almost like I became extremely insulin resistant due to the high amount of food. The same thing happened a few weekends ago when I ate a large donner kebab on its own with no pita. Rising hours after the meal. If I have a “normal” sized meal at night, then I don’t rise overnight so I know my nighttime basal is correct. Any input or suggestions?

Attachments

• 20181108_181926 (Medium).jpg
    20181108_181926 (Medium).jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 300
Reactions: SOPHIE2006