High FBG in the morning

stevenball01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm trying very hard to get my BG under control, I have noticed my FBG levels are stubbornly high in the mornings, around 10 - 11. Any tips for getting this down ?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hardest number to get under control .. is that on waking or after breakfast

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Steven and welcome to the Forum. Fasting levels are the last to get under control. Can you tell us a little bit more about yourself? What type of diet you have, how long since diagnosis, what meds you’re on? That’ll give us some clues as to how you might manage this, though it may just be a case of time sorting it out.

sunburst69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm trying very hard to get my BG under control, I have noticed my FBG levels are stubbornly high in the mornings, around 10 - 11. Any tips for getting this down ?
This is a problem for many diabetics including myself. Two things that can contribute/cause high BG #'s upon waking are the 'dawn phenomenon' and the Somagyi effect. They both involve the body raising BG. The dawn phenomenon is associated with the body's normal ramping up to meet the day and the Somagyi effect is a mechanism which triggers liver dumping. Many times adjusting nighttime meds and/or what you eat and how late can affect your body's response to these phenomena. I am not a medical professional, so please do some research and discuss this with your doctor/team.

stevenball01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Thanks all. It is the result is on fasting, as soon as I get up. I was diagnosed 7 years ago, and have always managed to have fairly good HbA1c results, but over the past two years, they have gradually increased. I have been lax (lucky) in that I didn't need to do too much about my diet as I was doing a lot of exercise and that tending to keep a lid on things. I have been gaining weight over the last 12 - 18 months, so now need to focus on my diet. I'm on 1000mg of Metformin twice daily and Vipidia 25mg tablets.

Sounds like this test is the last one that will show signs of improving until my weight comes down and the effects of the low carb / low-calorie diet kicks in.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is really random but I read somewhere about lemon water/cheese potentially helping this. The past 2 nights I’ve had a small amount of cheese before going to bed and I’ve haven’t spiked in the morning. I appreciate there may be no correlation here but just thought I’d mention it!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got my fasting BG down to under 6 most days (never over 6.5) by
  • Checking BG two hours after I started eating and if it increased by more then 2 compared to when I started the meal. that meal was off the menu....
  • Removing all sugar and most carbs from my diet, as they increased BG
  • Not eating late at night, and not overdoing the protein at dinner
But doing the above it took many weeks after all my post meal BG was below 5.5 before my fasting BG started to sort itself out. However, I care a lot more about the 2hr post meal reading then the fasting reading, as the post-meal reading is directly under my control.

What do you eat on a normal day?