High Glucose Levels

AITCH

Hi,

I have only recently been diagnosed and was on oral medication for 3 months but two weeks ago was diagnosed as type 1.5 and put on insulin. Was told its unusual because I am 51 years old.Lowest glucose level I have achieved is 12.4 once in a morning a few days ago, and am still averaging around 17 down from 28. Have increased on nurses advice to twice the insulin I was up to 16 twice a day. How long does it normally take to get down below 8. Problem with it being Xmas stuck for help and worry I should be doing better.All still a bit confusing.

Hi Aitch, and welcome. It depends on what regime you're on. You don't say if you're on a basal-bolus regime, that is 1 long lasting (basal) which regulates BS levels to an even state, and bolus which is adminstered just prior to meals, and kicks in after about 15 mins.
Either way, it depends on what you are eating, when you are eating and excercise etc. It's early days and will will take you a while to get it just right, just hang in there. You may want to regulate your carb intake, as this will lower your BSs, but be careful if you do this as you're on Insulin as they WILL go too low. There are many on this Forum that can advise you on this to give you non diabetic BSs, I can't as I dont do low carb, but I'm very careful to try and stay 'moderate'.

AITCH

Thanks for that. I presume I am on a bolus regime since I am having 2 injections a day. I thought by eating more carbs it would help but obviously I got the wrong end of the stick. Just wondered how long it takes to get insulin at correct level to get readings lower than the magic 8 !

iHs

AITCH said:
Thanks for that. I presume I am on a bolus regime since I am having 2 injections a day. I thought by eating more carbs it would help but obviously I got the wrong end of the stick. Just wondered how long it takes to get insulin at correct level to get readings lower than the magic 8 !

Hello Aitch

If you are injecting insulin twice a day, have a look to see if you are using pre mixed insulin such as Novomix or Humalog Mix?

16 units of pre mix is not an awful amount. Are you also taking oral med too?

AITCH

Hi,

Thanks for quick response, I am using NOVOMIX 30 flex pen and showing my ignorance don't know the difference between pre mixed and not. Using 16 in the morning and evening and since I had started at 8 thought it was a large amount. Relieved if its not. Think I am just worrying unecessarily but have had highs of Glucose readings of 32 twice in the past week and although average down to around 17 still thinking how long to get it down.

iHs

Hello :)

Your morning dose of novomix is meant to last you from breakfast to your evening meal. Most people who use it find that they need to eat a small amount of food (carbohydrate) every 2.5 hours. This usually means eating a small breakfast, then depending on what the bg is mid morning - eating a small snack. If they dont, many find that the insulin will cause them to go hypo by 11.30am.

You have got the right idea regarding the food, you just need to reduce the amount of carb that you are eating so that your bg balance out better on the 16units you are using at the moment.

Nothing is simple at first so try the above and then if that doesnt suit you ask your dsn about increasing the morning dose of insulin.

What are you eating for breakfast?

AITCH

Hi,

I am having cereal, weetabix or shredded wheat with bannana, if bored have tried peanut butter toast with brown bread. Also eating lots of fruit during the day. Have noticed lower readings after having omlette but thought I had to have carbsin the morning.

Katharine

The novomix is a combination of a long acting insulin and short acting insulin.

If your blood sugar at 3am and 8am (with no breakfast) is more than 6.0 you gradually up the dose of the evening shot till it is below 6.0.

If your blood sugar at 1pm(before lunch) and 6pm (before your evening meal) is more than 6.0 you would gradually up the dose of the morning insulin.

You are aiming for as normal blood sugars as possible (range 4-5.5) without going hypo/ low. Below 3.3 is truly low blood sugar but in order to give yourself some buffer zone and be safer with tasks such as driving you don't want to go below 4 if you can help it.

The fast acting insulin component in each injection will last about 3.5 hours. This gives coverage for breakfast and evening meal carbohydrates but leaves you a bit short at lunch. To get round this, plan to have a meat/poultry/fish/cheese/egg salad or similar low carb meal at lunch for optimal blood sugar control.

You can have toast, potatoes, rice, pasta, desserts, fruits, milk (carby foods) with breakfast and dinner but in small enough quantities to keep your two hour post meal blood sugar under control. Under 10 is a reasonable limit. Once you get the hang of things you can always tighten up a bit more. If you stick with the forum for any length of time you will soon understand the importance of strict glucose control. Meanwhile I hope we can support you in just getting the hang of things a bit better.

The site: http://www.dsolve.com will be a help to you.

AITCH

Katherine,

Thanks for that......having just started all this before and over Xmas it is all very confusing at times. I have been reading as much as I can but it does all seem very difficult at the moment. Have been worried because of all the high readings....in fact never had a low one yet.

Will take your advice on dinner etc since thats where maybe I am going wrong.

Thanks again.