Type 1 High keytones normal blood sugar

Carterbpool

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I’ve felt a bit rubbish lately and more thirsty than usual but my blood sugars have been generally ok.
I woke up after a bad night dehydration and rubbish sugars according to my libre were 8.2, checked against my monitor 7.2 so I thought I’d check my keytones and they are 4.2!

Normally when I’ve had keytones my sugars have been high!

Any one have any advice please is this normal? I don’t want to take more fast working insulin if my sugars are in ok.

Thank you

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Carterbpool are you on any medications other than insulin or on a keto diet?

To be honest, if my letones were that high I'd be either going to A&E or phoning 111 for advice.

According to the link above you should consider calling 999 ...

Edited to add : are your ketone strips past their expiry date? (And disclaimer, I'm not a doctor).

Carterbpool

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you just the usual statins, blood pressure tablets and something for stomach acid - appreciate the advice

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you aren't feeling like yourself even with a normal blood sugar I'd be worried if my ketones were that high and I wasn't on any new medication or following a "keto diet". I would be taking a trip to A&E, if you phoned 111 it's likely they would give the same suggestion as they are limited in what they can do with ketones that high. Better to be safe!

kkapo18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been following a ketogenic diet/low carb? As others have said I would call 111 or A&E.

Could be you are in nutritional ketoacidosis but still ketones of that level are high so would definitely not risk anything as you are also feeling symptoms too.