High levels whilst walking

Pollyt1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone or anything fake
Why am I suddenly having high glucose levels whilst walking? Before breakfast I go out walking my dog but level’s going up during walk. Walking for 1.5 hours over 10,000 steps. On waking my levels were12.6 and 16.1 when I returned home from walk.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You have to be careful if your blood sugar is above 14 and you exercise. You could make ketones which is a sign you are not getting enough insulin and you risk DKA. If you are waking to 12.6 are you getting DP (dawn phenomenom) and that is causing it? Or are you going to bed high? You might try to figure out why your levels are high when you wake. Are you a newer type1 ? Because as time goes on you make less and less insulin and you will need more. Of course DP causes it and people take a correction dose to deal with that. There is also FOTF (foot on the floor) that when you wake or a certain time after you wake your BG levels rise too. Both DP and FOTF are caused by hormone releases. And you can have both,

Normally walking doesn't increase BG levels. Strength or harder exercise can. But sometimes length of time you exercise can increase BG levels as your liver tries to provide fuel. And since we don't make our own insulin to deal with that your BG level goes up. But like I said normally walking isn't likely to cause that. Maybe it's a combo of not enough insulin in the first place and length of time walking??? But that's a guess.

• Agree
Reactions: In Response

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Gentle walk may lower BG but a brisk fast walking pace can quite easily raise it.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier