Type 2 High levels

Roxmcc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm new here and new to diabetes. My question is I was sent home from the hospital with my insulin and nova rapid, but no instructions as to when I'm to use the nova rapid and how much of it I use. My levels are currently 20.8 and I'm freaking out a bit. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou

mouseee

Hello. That's very scary. I would very much have hoped that you'd have more than that. And even if you did, as you are pretty much in shock being presented with a diagnosis and its unlikely youd have taken enough in to be useful. As everyone is so different, we won't be able to advise you on how much or when to use it. But insulin users may be able to tell you a little.
If you were on a ward in the hospital, I'd ring them directly and ask them to give you more advice. If not, they should have given you information about the diabetic team, etc. Contact them as a matter of urgency.
If all else fails, ring 111 and explain the problem. They may be able to direct you to the right place and at least to an on call gp who can give at least some advice or they in turn can direct you.
The good news is that you will be able to manage diabetes in the long run and this is a great forum for support and advice.

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm new here and new to diabetes. My question is I was sent home from the hospital with my insulin and nova rapid, but no instructions as to when I'm to use the nova rapid and how much of it I use. My levels are currently 20.8 and I'm freaking out a bit. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou
That's pretty poor on the hospitals part, I hope they've arranged you some follow up ASAP to help you. I assume you're Type 1, so you should have been prescribed a long acting (basal) insulin which you take once a day, as well as your Novorapid, which you take to deal with the food you eat. If you look at your discharge letter from the hospital does it give any dose recommendations on that, or any clue about how soon you will be followed up? Definitely call 111, they should be able to get someone to call you. I hope you get some advice soon.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
I assume you're Type 1,
I wouldn't necessarily assume that, their profile says T2 and there are very many insulin using T2s.

@Roxmcc I hope 111 gives you help soon. I agree with the others that the hospital should have given you more information.

• Agree
Reactions: lovinglife

Roxmcc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That's pretty poor on the hospitals part, I hope they've arranged you some follow up ASAP to help you. I assume you're Type 1, so you should have been prescribed a long acting (basal) insulin which you take once a day, as well as your Novorapid, which you take to deal with the food you eat. If you look at your discharge letter from the hospital does it give any dose recommendations on that, or any clue about how soon you will be followed up? Definitely call 111, they should be able to get someone to call you. I hope you get some advice soon.
I'm T2 and me and my husband have read my discharge notes and there's no nova rapid instructions at all. I called 111 and was told a doctor will call me back within 2 hours. 7 hours later and no one has called me back. It's ridiculous. My levels have gone down now which has put me at ease. Thankyou for your message.

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM and Antje77