High/low sugars

tracymcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dad is type one diabetic and has a free style libre sensor in his arm it keeps going off all the time saying his sugars are high then next they have dropped down to as low as 2 is it normal they keep going up or down or should he be contacting the diabetic team as I’m worried he will either end up in a diabetic coma or develop ketoacidocis again

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
My dad is type one diabetic and has a free style libre sensor in his arm it keeps going off all the time saying his sugars are high then next they have dropped down to as low as 2 is it normal they keep going up or down or should he be contacting the diabetic team as I’m worried he will either end up in a diabetic coma or develop ketoacidocis again
Hi Tracy,

Are any of these readings being checked against a meter reading ? This could be a sensor error so any high/lows should be checked.

MuttNJeff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a Type 1 I would be very reluctant to set a high-level alarm at less than say 17 - my sugars often spike up after eating, and the libre will also (if scanned) later often show that the scanned reading was above the line on the graph. But validating the reading from the libre against blood test strips - particularly when low - is important.

Variation in readings through the day is common, reasons for going low include the results of past pysical (and mental!) activity. For real low readings it is necessary to treat them with sugars and perhaps a snack (but the libre seems to take ages to accept that a real low reading has passed becasue the bllod gets the sugars way before the interstitial fluid).

Low readings can also come from dehydration, and pressure on the sensor (e.g. when sleeping).

But if in doubt contact the diabetes team - might need to adjust the insulins and (for short acting) the ration of insulin to carbs.