High pre meal readings

Dddeeebbbsss

Quick question - haven't met my diabetic team yet due to corona but have emailed two weeks results through and will be meeting them face to face on Monday with another two weeks results.

The set pre meal target is 5.3mol. However my pre dinner score is often above this... 5.4,5.5,5.6.

I often get peckish late afternoon and will grab an apple and peanut butter or a peanut butter protein bar. Usually I make dinner for partner coming home, so if I know he Is running late I don't want to be starving myself waiting for dinner. And also if I was starving at dinner I would end up eating a larger portion which would most likely give me bad after dinner results.

Will my Dr mind these results being slightly over? I think I'm being reasonable but don't want to be wrong. If I tested before my snack I would most likely have a pre meal reading but the booklet just says to test before meals not snacks.

Thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick question - haven't met my diabetic team yet due to corona but have emailed two weeks results through and will be meeting them face to face on Monday with another two weeks results.

The set pre meal target is 5.3mol. However my pre dinner score is often above this... 5.4,5.5,5.6.

I often get peckish late afternoon and will grab an apple and peanut butter or a peanut butter protein bar. Usually I make dinner for partner coming home, so if I know he Is running late I don't want to be starving myself waiting for dinner. And also if I was starving at dinner I would end up eating a larger portion which would most likely give me bad after dinner results.

Will my Dr mind these results being slightly over? I think I'm being reasonable but don't want to be wrong. If I tested before my snack I would most likely have a pre meal reading but the booklet just says to test before meals not snacks.

Thanks
No GD here, just a T2, but... Snacks count. An apple contains both glucose and fructose, about 21 grams of sugar in total for a medium sized apple (8 sugar cubes!) and will make your blood sugars rise. Peanut butter, depending on the brand can contain sugar. Protein bars... Can be very carby too, and all carbs turn to glucose once ingested. If you absolutely have to have a snack before your meal, try going for hard cheeses, olives, pork scratchings, walnuts/pecans, that sort of thing. Those won't raise your blood sugars and are filling by nature.