High protein diet?

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently I was on a holiday and had to adjust my diet a bit based on what was available. I ended up eating a lot less carbs, but a similar amount of fat, to my usual diet. I was surprised to notice that I was very satisfied with my meals and much less hungry during the whole day than I was at home. Since I ate a lot of protein foods (meat with every meal, mushrooms, eggs) I concluded that must be the reason, especially since I don't eat so much protein at home. Has anyone had any experience with high protein diets and would you recommend continuing to eat like this?

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Protein takes the longest and the most energy for your body to process

This is an extract.

Protein takes the most energy to digest (20-30% of total calories in protein eaten go to digesting it). Next is carbohydrates (5-10%) and then fats (0-3%). Thus, if you eat 100 calories from protein, your body uses 20-30 of those calories to digest and absorb the protein.

from

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/digesting-whole-vs-processed-foods

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Fewer carbs I eat, the less hungry I am. Which for me also means eating the right amount of fat, regardless of protein, but I do eat a lot of protein.

Reactions: phdiabetic

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Not directly as I don't eat a large amount of protein but Keiran my grandson eats an inordinate amount of protein and virtually zero carbohydrate and so far has had no problems doing so.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat the same amount of protein that I have always eaten. I have never felt the need to restrict it. I have normal portions of meat or fish most meals. I also eat the Lidl high protein rolls, either a half of one or 2 halves every day. I am a great believer in the goodness and benefits of protein especially for older people and would never consider restricting it as long as my kidneys are working well. If my kidneys deteriorate at all, I would have to reconsider.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same as @Bluetit1802 - I've never chosen to change the amount of protein I eat - I've just done a balancing act with fats and carbs, and it's mostly the fat that keeps me from being hungry. Though I have to admit that when my husband was "in charge" of our shopping and cooking I often wondered where the protein was actually supposed to be in my (rather high carb) meals. I was often left hungry when this happened, and my skin, hair and nails suffered as a result, but have improved now I can prepare my own meals again and have a reasonable amount of protein on my plate.

Robbity

Reactions: Bluetit1802

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Slight hijack..

Aren't T1's at higher risk of ketoacidosis, so a high protein diet could be riskier for a T1 diabetic than T2?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, it’s keeping the carbs low and the fat high that satisfies my hunger.
I eat the same amount of protein everyday but if I either over eat carbs or under eat fat I’ll be very hungry.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Slight hijack..

Aren't T1's at higher risk of ketoacidosis, so a high protein diet could be riskier for a T1 diabetic than T2?

I never heard this, I will ask my doctor. Even if it is a higher risk, I feel like it isn't a significant risk for me because I'm extremely unlikely to go into DKA - never have before and I check my numbers a lot.