High Reading - help!

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, just got my new bood meter in the post:) and did a reading, it was 10.3. This was about 1 hour after food and I have a really bad cold.:hungover: Am I correct in thinking that being ill can make your readings higher?

Also, this is my third cold since September, has anyone experienced this in their first few weeks and should I / can I take some multi vitamins and zinc?

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
Yes - when you are ill your blood glucose meter readings can increase.

You should enquire with your GP about the flu jab - diabetics can receive one if they wish.

I would just say that your immune system is low if you have caught 3 colds in a month.

I would talk to your GP/Diabetic Clinic about vitamin supplements ;)

Hope this helps :)

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
Oh and you should take a meter test when you wake, before food and 2 hours after food ;)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have friends or work colleges that have colds .. You could just be picking up colds from them. Stress can cause you to pick up bugs easer ... Yes a virus will cause a higher sugar reading

Reactions: 2 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Enclave, I work in a school and have 2 children of my own, no hope of avoiding bugs! LOL.

Msprim, I have already had flu jab! Have diabetes appointment in a couple of weeks so will bring it up.

Thanks.x

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Enclave, I work in a school and have 2 children of my own, no hope of avoiding bugs! LOL.

Msprim, I have already had flu jab! Have diabetes appointment in a couple of weeks so will bring it up.

Thanks.x
I expect that's it .. Your little students have brought in a new strain of virus..

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I expect that's it .. Your little students have brought in a new strain of virus..

Yes, little darlings!
Did another test 2 hrs after dinner (stuffed peppers that my lovely hubby made) and right down to 5.7. ;)

Reactions: 3 people