High risk! Getting to grips now!

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Hello one and all. I am 50 years of age, overweight, waist over 35". I live in the West Midlands. There is a lot of Diabetes in my family, both parents and one grandparent. I've only just realised that the sugar readings I thought were low , were actually quite high so I have decided to keep tabs on them and try to stay within the safe range. I've had two fasting tests in the passed and both have been OK. I worry because I have a very sweet tooth. Sometimes I go for hours without eating and then eat the wrong foods and then I feel dreadful. I want to make that vicious cycle a thing of the past.

I have two meters and test regularly.

Looking forward to reading other threads and learning how others control their diabetes.

I am pro alternative therapies too .

:watching:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A typical battle between the head and the heart.

Well I got diabetes because I ate too much sweet stuff. I was overweight anyway, very much more overweight 35" waist. I haven't had one of those since I was 15. I have always had a sweet tooth too. When I gave up smoking I ate too many sweets, either sat driving or sitting at a computer. No cigs, sweets will do net result, type 2.

I made sure that the only sweet stuff I ate was fruit. No marmelade on toast, no jams, nothing like that. However, fruit didn't completely satisfy but what I discovered was things which had a substantial crunch alleviated the urge for something sweet so, it was thin rye crispbreads with thinly sliced cheese or salmon paste. In addition, I needed a sharp contrasting taste, so I added very thinly sliced pickled onion of the cheese for example. They became a good alternative to biscuits. My favourite crispbread were Lidl's sesame rye. Very thin, light and crunchy. As an alternative, something like Peter's Yard crispbread. It is very hard and very crunchy. Break bits off and have with a powerful cheese, or salmon and dill, or cream cheese and chives, sundried tomatoes and olives and it will steer your mind away from chocolate hobnobs. Over time, you will re-educate your palette.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh that is very good advice. I'm going to try the crispbreads and the cheese. I'd given up sugar/sweet things in the past and found that I enjoyed savoury just as well so I will do that again. Re-educate my palette, as you say.

:woot:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You won't get a clean straight cut as they do tend to warp:

1100035.jpeg

You do need a broom though, for storage. I suspect you can get one at Ikea:

knackebrod.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Yorksman AKA Heath Robinson <G>

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
oh my!!! Perhaps I should just stick to Ryvita ... haha

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, cold feet, being the odd one out at outings ("can you make sure that's a diet coke").
Darn just got bacl from Lidl, didn't see any crackers orSwedish dancers . Must look next time.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you fishing for doughnuts in that pic jumbleannie or is it bait?

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, cold feet, being the odd one out at outings ("can you make sure that's a diet coke").
As if I would ever let a doughnut past my lips.:angelic: Huge sigh

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's been 10 days already since I started keeping my BGs in the safe zone and I;m feeling much better already, except when my sugar spikes. I've been monitoring it regularly for my own peace of mind. My fave meter is the Aviva Nano (Accu-Chek) and I also have the Nexus.
I'm going to be logging my progress in this thread so I can make quick reference to it when I need to, because I need REMINDERS.
I'm a ferocious scatterbrain!

:lurking:

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm following dietdoctor.com

Loc Carbs High Fat
: http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

HEART http://www.dietdoctor.com/new-study-sugar-cause-heart-disease

SUGAR http://www.dietdoctor.com/fantastic-new-tv-program-on-obesity-toxic-sugar

The low-carb brother has a fasting glucose of 5,1 before the diet (normal) and a fasting glucose of 5,9 after the diet (normal). Did you catch the word “normal” twice? Yes, thats right, a fasting glucose of up to 6,0 mmol/L is considered normal, at least in Sweden. It also varies significantly from day to day. If we tested the doctors’s own fasting blood glucose it might be 5,9 today and 5,1 tomorrow.

The result could be due to chance but sometimes the fasting glucose level actually gets slightly higher on an LCHF diet, while the glucose levels during the day (after meals) is way lower. This is probably because the body is adapted to burning fat and so the need for burning glucose when fasting is lower. Thus you don’t get the same fasting “dip” in sugar levels.

-----------------------------
http://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes

Last edited by a moderator:

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Potatoes & rice, so no problem there then :)
I was told on Friday at an NHS diabetes education day that 4.0 was the new 'normal' for the UK down a point from 5.0.But here they don't like you to test yourself.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mine is rarely 4.0 .... but I try to keep it between 4 and 8.. the safe range

Don't they like it when you self-monitor... TOUGH! I like it! I suppose they'll think we'll misinterpret the results, do they?! I dunno....

Everytime there's a doctor's strike the mortality rate goes down!

Reactions: 4 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I started feeling better but now I'm extremely tired, strange feeling in legs... not sleeping well, waking every three hours. I don;t remember ever feeling like this....

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The puffiness in my legs has gone .. and the swelling in my left foot ...
And the pain in my wrists is better. It'd been a nuisance for over 12 months.

Today I had a battered fish (Youngs, Frozen)... It didn't affect my BG level one iota!

Last edited by a moderator: