Type 1 High sugars

Johnnylaw19

Hi all.
For the last few days my blood sugars have been really high after food, unfortunately I have been chasing up to 5 units but my sugars have remained high.
I don’t feel I’ll or changed my diets etc. Can anybody explain why my sugars are staying high?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Johnnylaw19 :)

Can you tell us more about your diabetes so what type and what medication are you on, what food are you eating and when are you testing ?

Johnnylaw19

Hi juicyj

I have had type 1 for around 8 years now, and my fast acting insulin is humalog.
I feel my diet is pretty good although I ate oven fish and chips tonight. Because I’ve had high sugars last few day I gave myself 9 units ( I usually give 1 unit to 10g of carbs) tested myself after an hour and was reading 21. Chased another 7 units and just tested my self after another hour and I’m 22! Really don’t understand.
FYI I’ve got a libre tester and I’ve just finger pricked myself with the same results.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Have the odd numbers come after a new set of insulin? Could you have a dodgy batch?

D

Deleted Account

@Johnnylaw19 I see from the tags in the title to this thread that you have type 1.
There are many things that can impact our BG - food, exercise, type of day, month, year, stress, how well you slept, illness, ...
If insulin is not bringing down your BG, have you tried replacing your insulin and pens?

Johnnylaw19

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I’ve just got a new pen today and added a new insulin from an unopened case.
I’m really confused as this has never happened to me before.
Guess I’ll be getting up numerous times for toilet breaks though out the night