high sugars?

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
VW754 said:
funny readings.....got mine after 2 hours of a meal to 8.1.........ive had nothing else to eat or drink...and 1 hour later its on 9.7.......then after another 45 min later (still had nothing to eat) 10.6 !!! i do feel a bit bunged up but nothing drastic...........why is it going up?

What did you have to eat? Was it high in carbs or maybe low GI?

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I feel that you have been given good advice on diet. Beans and toast as a main meal is not a balanced meal. There is plenty of guidance around about healthy eating - as a diabetic you will also need to consider the amount and type of carbohydrate that you eat. You might want to cut out from your diet completely cakes/biscuits/chocs/sweets etc. These foods lead to an almost instant rise in your blood sugars and are of little food value. I think that it might also help to learn what is in the food that you eat. Read the labels and you will find that ordinary baked beans have a lot of sugar and salt in them - not good! It is surprising the number of savoury foods that have sugar in them.

I have thought about the questions you ask. Beans might release their energy slowly but the sugary sauce does not. I think I dealt with your second question above.

Hope this helps. Having diabetes is not, necessarily, an easy path to tread but it can be done with knowledge and perseverance.

Regards

Doug

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
VW754 said:
boiled rice.....chicken curry

boiled rice = carbs

There might also be a significant amount of carbs in chicken curry (depending on what goes into the sauce).

Carbs make your BG spike. But then you should know that after the last 3 pages of advice.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
VW

Boiled rice!

Here are my tolerences to various foods. I'm sure this will not surprise many people on the forum reading this as that's what being diabetic means. Didn't you doctor explain this to you?

I can eat no more than 25g or 1oz (uncooked weight) of white rice or white pasta in one meal as doing so sends me over safe limits.

I can eat no more than one and a half slices of brown wholemeal bread or even the smallest amount of pastry in one meal as doing so sends me over the safe limits.

More than 2 small boiled potatoes sends me over safe limits in one meal. Mashed potato is impossible to eat in any quantity what so ever.

I would never dream nowadays of eating Nan bread or a normal portion of boiled rice and will only consider eating the tiniest amounts of anything that is sweet with sugar in it.

I can eat slightly more (40g) of basmati brown rice in one meal.

These are tiny amounts of rice, pasta or anything made with flour, much much less than a non diabetic persons serving. I am not unusual for a diabetic.

Instead I eat loads of vegetables, those which grow above ground rather than those that grow below ground are generally best although carrots seem to be ok for me. I eat cheese, eggs and small amounts of fresh fruits that mostly have "berry" in their names. I eat plain yoghurt and mix in chopped up fruits so that it tastes nice. I eat a wide range of meat but appreciate you have to restrict your range because of your culture. I cannot drink fruit juices like fresh orange juice or any fresh juice for that matter because they are full of sugar.

I drink a lot of water, not only all as plain water but as tea, coffee and my weakness diet coke. I probably drink at least 2 to 3 pints of liquid a day. I do still put milk in my tea and coffee but obviously use a sweetener rather than sugar.

My favourite food is curry and I will make one using around 250g of vegetables as a base and then add spices, as much meat as I want and the small amount of brown basmati rice that I can tolerate. When making sauces for curry do not use a large amount of thickening agent like cornflour as like ordinary flour it should now be off your diet accept in very small quantities.

Try and replace the quantity of rice you have to stop eating with extra vegetables or meat that way you won't get hungry.

This is what we have all been saying to you and until you accept that your levels will continue to be out of control.

I really wish you all the best and please continue to keep asking questions if you need to.

Unbeliever

xyzzy, Thanks! Think I will steal your last post and send it to my recently diagnosed friend. just what he needs all in one place!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glad to be of service :)

VW754

thanks............oh and by the way.............lose the sweetner..........its a liver killer! read up on it.....i dont have sugar at all in my tea.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
VW754 said:
lose the sweetner

:D

Keep letting us know how you're getting on and take care of yourself.