High Urea result

SarahHammond

Hi Everyone,

I have had a high blood urea result come through and I've been told to drink more water and cut down on protein.
The trouble is it's protein that keeps me full and replaces the high carbs for me.
I eat alot of green veg, salads but they don't fill me up without protein ie, meat fish, eggs, nuts, chickpeas, lentils.
Any advice about this would be appreciated, thank you

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The more water is probably more key than protein alone, I actually went carnivor for about 6 months and that’s the only time my results were ok

Of course if you were slightly dehydrated at the time the sample was taken that has a negative impact too

Also slightly elevated most doctors don’t worry about they say they will just keep an eye on it to ensure it doesn’t get worse

• Agree
Reactions: filly and Paul_

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,

I have had a high blood urea result come through and I've been told to drink more water and cut down on protein.
The trouble is it's protein that keeps me full and replaces the high carbs for me.
I eat alot of green veg, salads but they don't fill me up without protein ie, meat fish, eggs, nuts, chickpeas, lentils.
Sarah, is this something you have had in the past, or is it a new thing on this round of tests?

One of the potential causes of elevated urea is dehydration. Is it possible you were dehydrated when you had your test bloods drawn?

In terms of cutting down on the protein, I envisage that's trim back a bit, not cut protein out. For myself, if I am finding myself in a hungry phase, I find a mixture of protein and fats the most effective way of stemming the feelings, so maybe it could be worthwhile trimming back on the protein a bit, but adding in some extra fats? The extra fats could come from fattier cuts of meat, as well as the usual suspects of butter on veg, or cream in sauces or with berries.

Reactions: Paul_

SarahHammond

Sarah, is this something you have had in the past, or is it a new thing on this round of tests?

One of the potential causes of elevated urea is dehydration. Is it possible you were dehydrated when you had your test bloods drawn?

In terms of cutting down on the protein, I envisage that's trim back a bit, not cut protein out. For myself, if I am finding myself in a hungry phase, I find a mixture of protein and fats the most effective way of stemming the feelings, so maybe it could be worthwhile trimming back on the protein a bit, but adding in some extra fats? The extra fats could come from fattier cuts of meat, as well as the usual suspects of butter on veg, or cream in sauces or with berries.
Thank you. I am guilty of not drinking enough so I'm going to monitor it more and yes adding fats is a good idea

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,

I tend to compensate for my high protein-intake by having a few sodium bicarb capsules a day, they make you less acidic. (For me it means fewer and less sharp ureum kidney stones). And drink *loads*.

I'm not giving up my protein, so that's been my choice. But there are other meds like allopurinol that can reduce acidity, or you could do more with fats? Also, I recently discovered konjac capsules, they fill your stomach with a gel-like substance, so it can make you feel full, but with zero carbs. No idea whether that helps though...

Good luck!
Jo

SarahHammond

I tend to compensate for my high protein-intake by having a few sodium bicarb capsules a day, they make you less acidic. (For me it means fewer and less sharp ureum kidney stones). And drink *loads*.

I'm not giving up my protein, so that's been my choice. But there are other meds like allopurinol that can reduce acidity, or you could do more with fats? Also, I recently discovered konjac capsules, they fill your stomach with a gel-like substance, so it can make you feel full, but with zero carbs. No idea whether that helps though...

Good luck!
Jo
Thanks Jo, that is really helpful. I love my proteins so I'll look into it

Reactions: JoKalsbeek