Type 2 Highest levels ever but not ate anything

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Got up this morning my bs was 6.3 had 2 cups of black tea with sweeteners tested again after 4 hrs
Bs at 7.2 . Anyone know why this happened that’s the highest I’ve been since diagnosis . Bit shook up about it tbh . Never seen a 7

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few of us on here are finding our fasting bg is higher the longer we are low carbing, so if you are sticking to low carb at all times now it may have something to do with it - check out this article which I found helpful: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fasting-blood-glucose-higher
And then see how your post-meal levels are today as these are the most important ones.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Got up this morning my bs was 6.3 had 2 cups of black tea with sweeteners tested again after 4 hrs
Bs at 7.2 . Anyone know why this happened that’s the highest I’ve been since diagnosis . Bit shook up about it tbh . Never seen a 7

It sounds to me like your liver is dumping glucose all morning because it believes you are starving, and is trying to keep your energy levels up. Instead of the black tea (or in addition to it) have a bit of something fatty for breakfast. A coffee with cream may do the trick, or some cheese, or something eggy.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The same with me if I skip breakfast. Small breakfast (one egg) does the trick for me. After two hours I'm under 5.7 again. Without any breakfast my BG level elevates to high 6 for whole forenoon.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
But as we want to empty our liver of fat should we be trying to stop liver dumps?

Personally I find intermitant fasting and taking a walk after dinner both reduce my fasting blood glucose and stops liver dumps.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But as we want to empty our liver of fat should we be trying to stop liver dumps?

Personally I find intermitant fasting and taking a walk after dinner both reduce my fasting blood glucose and stops liver dumps.
I'm with you on this @ringi - personally I'm trying not to get hung up on my fasting bg/liver dumps as I believe it creates more room for sugar storage post meals - this has been borne out my testing so far - so actually it improves my post-meal figures and I want to drain my liver from as much sugar/fat as possible.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Non diabetics have liver dumps. They stop them going low in times of fasting. Because their pancreas/insulin works properly in tandem with the liver, they are insignificant.

T2 diabetics have liver dumps for the same reason. Because they have insulin resistance, the pancreas and liver cannot work properly in tandem, so they are very significant.

In my opinion, only reducing insulin resistance will stop them being significant.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my case yes - I want to be under 5.7 as long as possible to prevent diabetic complications (eyes, legs, etc.). Whole forenoon (typically from 4:30 to lunch at 12:00) to be over 6 is not acceptable for me.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try eating less for dinner, not having dinner as late, going for a walk after dinner and getting a good night's sleep.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my case yes - I want to be under 5.7 as long as possible to prevent diabetic complications (eyes, legs, etc.). Whole forenoon (typically from 4:30 to lunch at 12:00) to be over 6 is not acceptable for me.
What is the significane of 5.7 ? I had thought from other posts that 7.8 was the threshold for possible complications.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A few of us on here are finding our fasting bg is higher the longer we are low carbing, so if you are sticking to low carb at all times now it may have something to do with it - check out this article which I found helpful: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fasting-blood-glucose-higher
And then see how your post-meal levels are today as these are the most important ones.

Ok so I’ve just tested again have had nothing since 8:00 now midday and I’m 7 . Could it be the big roast I had yesterday only about a spoonful of carrots and peas . And lots of pork with gravy and buttered green beans . Had cheese last night . But did have a restless nights sleep

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so I’ve just tested again have had nothing since 8:00 now midday and I’m 7 . Could it be the big roast I had yesterday only about a spoonful of carrots and peas . And lots of pork with gravy and buttered green beans . Had cheese last night . But did have a restless nights sleep
Do you think it was a more carby meal than normal? If so it could be the meal - but as mentioned on this thread it's also possible your liver is dumping glucose in your blood as you haven't eaten this morning. You could try eating a very low carb meal or snack such as an omelette and see what happens - if eating helps then it's likely a liver dump.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It sounds to me like your liver is dumping glucose all morning because it believes you are starving, and is trying to keep your energy levels up. Instead of the black tea (or in addition to it) have a bit of something fatty for breakfast. A coffee with cream may do the trick, or some cheese, or something eggy.
I’ll try that tomorrow . Havin bacon and eggs for lunch that better lower it or I’m goin home and havin a big fat thick bread sandwich and a bowl of spaghetti bolognaise

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll try that tomorrow . Havin bacon and eggs for lunch that better lower it or I’m goin home and havin a big fat thick bread sandwich and a bowl of spaghetti bolognaise

I very much doubt it was anything you ate yesterday as that would have affected your early morning fasting level of 6.3. (maybe it did as 6.3 is a tad high) but it is unlikely to be the cause of steadily increasing levels all morning. That is definitely your liver dumping. I believe you need to work on your insulin resistance, and try a fatty snack as soon as possible after getting up (and before getting dressed and ready for the day ahead)

Between the 6.3 and the 7.2, were you doing any form of exercise? I ask because that is also likely to raise your levels on an empty stomach.

Reactions: Peadair O Brionn

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Liver dumps - hmmm - are these mainly from stored fats?
I suspect that they may be from stored glycogen.
In which case you possibly need to clear the glycogen store out to encourage the liver to convert some fats.

Not always a massive fan of https://www.livestrong.com/article/264767-how-is-excess-glucose-stored/ but it does say:

"
Stored Glucose
Once glucose is inside the liver, glucose is phosphorylated into glucose-6-phosphate, or G6P. G6P is further metabolized into triglycerides, fatty acids, glycogen or energy. Glycogen is the form in which the body stores glucose. The liver can only store about 100 g of glucose in the form of glycogen. The muscles also store glycogen. Muscles can store approximately 500 g of glycogen. Because of the limited storage areas, any carbohydrates that are consumed beyond the storage capacity are converted to and stored as fat. There is practically no limit on how many calories the body can store as fat.
"

So, yes, it looks as though a liver dump is potentially a good thing as long as you then keep your liver glycogen store low for the rest of the day. This in turn prevents any stray carbohydrate being stored as fat.

If you can't keep your liver glycogen store low, then a small snack to stop it dumping may well be a good thing. The first aim is to keep BG levels down. The second aim is to improve the body's BG control.

Fasting BG is often the last thing to come under control during a successful diet, exercise, weight loss regime. So limiting a liver dump to stop running a high BG level for half a day or more might be a more sensible option.

Or to put it another way, damned if you do, damned if you don't. :banghead:

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
k
I very much doubt it was anything you ate yesterday as that would have affected your early morning fasting level of 6.3. (maybe it did as 6.3 is a tad high) but it is unlikely to be the cause of steadily increasing levels all morning. That is definitely your liver dumping. I believe you need to work on your insulin resistance, and try a fatty snack as soon as possible after getting up (and before getting dressed and ready for the day ahead)

Between the 6.3 and the 7.2, were you doing any form of exercise? I ask because that is also likely to raise your levels on an empty stomach.[/QUOTE
Thanks for the reply . No didn’t do any excersise just in work usual stuff up and down stairs . Scaffolds etc . Had bacon and eggs at 12 30 . Do gonna test again at 14 30
See what happen . Will do all the morning things advised tomorrow and see where we go . But steak and eggs and green beans for dinner tonight

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the significane of 5.7 ? I had thought from other posts that 7.8 was the threshold for possible complications.
As I understand it, there are two major problems, which can lead to complications:

1. Spikes - each spike over 7.7 will add something negative
2. long time elevation over 5.7

So I try to mimic non-diabetes people: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
k Thanks for the reply . No didn’t do any excersise just in work usual stuff up and down stairs . Scaffolds etc .

Building site work? I call that exercise. Exercise isn't restricted to a gym. You have a physical job that requires energy. I don't think 2 cups of black tea will provide that, so your liver is dumping to compensate.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a skinny T2, with A1cs only in the low 30s for the last 4 years, I'm happy for my liver to be dumping fairly regularly. All it does is recycle it's resources. I think of it as being like a rechargeable battery which discharges if I'm running low, then recharges as soon as I next eat.

Liver dumping doesn't cause me one iota of concern. I know when it is happening, because I experience a particular sensation, but I just mentally acknowledge ot and get on with what I'm doing. My liver will look after me.

If I were seeing dawn phenomenon that had me rishing towards or into double figures if I fasted, then I might be encouraged to break my fast, but that's not how my particular body works.

This differs from how a T1 would likely view a liver dump, because of their different physiology.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hiya thanks for replying
I had 2 eggs and 3 rashers at lunchtime with some tea . Tested @ 2 hrs and it was down to 6.4 let’s hope it is down below 6 by dinner time steak and eggs should drop it a bit more . I might have a bit of cheese and ham at supper see if that helps and an egg and bacon for brekkie