Highs/Lows/Something is wrong with my blood sugars the last 7 days...

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hiya, I need some advice or ideas as to what is going on the last 7 days or if anyone else has experienced it. Last Tuesday, I had a hypo out of nowhere, hours after my last dose. I treated it with the usual panic of biscuits, juice, etc. but I knew something wasn't right because I lay down waiting for my sugar to return to normal and my heart was pounding like crazy for a long time. A bit later on, I started throwing up the lucozade I was sipping to keep my sugar up while feeling nauseous and unable to eat. (worst thing ever) After I threw up I was fine but my sugars were hovering around 4.2. Then later on they were 16. Almost like the Lucozade took a few hours to hit my system.. which is stupid I know.

The last few days my blood sugars have been higher than usual and I'm seeing highs of 11-14 even though I'm taking a lot of insulin for not particuarly carby food. When I woke up today I was at 9.6 which is high for morning time. I took a few extra units and ate my breakfast, and I went up to 11. Now I am feeling super nauseous and I can feel my sugar dropping but it's not hypo yet. I was 10.2, then 6.8, then 5.4, now 3.8 in a matter of 25 minutes. I feel too sick to eat so I'm sipping Lucozade slowly but I don't know what is going on. :( Hypos don't normally have me feeling like I am gonna throw up and I'm worried I'm gonna go high later.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could you be ill? A stomach bug can cause erratic sugars like that.

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I don't think so, since I've been fine gastrointestinally since last week. It's just last Tuesday and today I've been sick during my hypos. :( it's literally the worst thing having to keep eating and drinking while vomiting.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, it's horrible : ( I've had two or three gastro viruses that caused that - hence my mention. I found Coke easier to keep down than Lucozade, and now keep a can especially for those circumstances.

Have you changed to new insulin vials/pens? If not, I'd do that as a precaution. Are you on a pump or injections? Could it be your site absorption?

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I'm on injections. 24 units of Lantus once a day around 6pm. And Novorapid for meals. I started injecting in my legs about 5 months ago because it's less painful and my tummy was getting bigger and bigger lol. I need quite a lot of Novo. I don't calculate it much because I eat the same food and 10-12 units covers pretty much anything I eat. But it's almost like the bolus isn't absorbing properly when it's supposed to and then it's hitting me later.

I'm up to 8.1 now thank god. I managed a cereal bar but I still feel awful and I guarantee you my sugar will go really high now. :(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've never used Lantus so I can't comment on that, but i think some people use their bum as a Lantus site.

I think in your situation, I'd phone a DSN to see if they have any advice. I can see what you're thinking about the Novorapid suddenly starting working, but I haven't had that happen to me when on injections so I'm not sure what would cause that apart from absorption issues. Changing to new vials/pens, and trying different sites would be my first port of call, but I would phone your DSN and try to get some advice from them too. You don't want all this randomness and worry with your BS. It's stressful and frustrating.

Tagging @noblehead in case he has any suggestions.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry - had another thought. How far in advance of meals do you bolus? Have you tried bolusing less insulin but further in advance?

Jodie1154

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am lantus been on it for years my blood sugar use to been high because the lantus ran out so the dab nurse told me to split in to two doses and now my blood sugars are in range

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
With the bolus it depends. I usually take it 5 mins before eating, but sometimes I take it afterwards if I am unsure how much I'm gonna eat. Too many times in the past I've taken a dose of Novorapid, gotten full up and then had a hypo panic later on. Everything has been fine until the last 7 days. If I'll be honest -- i've been on basal bolus for a year now and still don't know my correct doses. 24 seems to be perfect Lantus dose. With bolus it depends... 10-12 units covers most stuff I eat (unless it's carb free) unless I'm having something bad like going out for a big meal. Then I'll take about 16 units.

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I've just thrown my current Novorapid vial in the trash and gotten out a new one. Once I felt better earlier I took 8 units for 4-5 small pieces of chicken and now I've spiked to 16.7 which shouldn't be happening...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm on injections. 24 units of Lantus once a day around 6pm. And Novorapid for meals. I started injecting in my legs about 5 months ago because it's less painful and my tummy was getting bigger and bigger lol

Hi @Catsymoo

I mainly used my bum for my lantus and occasionally the legs, maybe worth changing your lantus pen if you've not done so already, at a loss to explain what's going on with you but I think it's worth contacting your DSN and ask for their support and advice.

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just thrown my current Novorapid vial in the trash and gotten out a new one. Once I felt better earlier I took 8 units for 4-5 small pieces of chicken and now I've spiked to 16.7 which shouldn't be happening...

Have you done a basal test recently? I know you say you think your Lantus amount is correct, but it may be worth considering doing a basal test to confirm that's right. If you're trying to bolus on a wrong basal, it can make things harder to,work out what's happening and to get your bolus right.

You might also want to,try bolusing more in advance. I had great success doing this for breakfast. I used to spike high then go low, but moving the bolus and slightly reducing the amount has basically beaten that. I moved my bolus five minutes at a time, and ate the same meal for consistency.

Once you've got this all sorted, I'd see about some more carb counting information. Again, matching your insulin more closely to your carbs will help erratic sugars a lot.

abigailsheree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Could it be because you are dropping so quickly? A call for advice off someone may help. I find I feel really ill when I drop to quickly or go high to quickly