Hiking Food

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Im interested in this post. I used to enjoy hiking did a few jonts around the place. I was also looking at ways to stay in Keto while out on the hills without having to come back down to civilisation, however it seems quite difficult apart from eggs, bacon, cheese, chicken etc etc probably mostly already cooked.

I cant or wont carry a large stove syste as I have to carry everything in and out with me, however if there are 2/3 people then it should prove easier I would think

Reactions: AdamJames

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or you could always just do it fasted?
Am I getting a bit carried away with the fasting vibe now?

Reactions: rab5

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I keep checking those out every time they are mentioned, and it's always the price that puts me off in the end! In your honest opinion, are they worth £2 for a small bar? I've been checking my Spar since you mentioned you saw them in yours and still haven't seen any, reduced or otherwise :(

I'm thinking I need to try them even if it's only once just so I can say I have. If nothing else it might give me some ideas about how to make something similar myself.

If I "only ever try one", would you recommend a particular flavour?

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Adam,
As something of a post-script ref the milk options mentioned above (probly too late if you've already toddled off to Tesco, but maybe to think about for next time).... Today I picked up a carton of Arla lactofree semi skimmed milk, not realising that it was the long-life version. Actually, they refer to it as a"dairy drink". Amongst other info, the carton also indicates "decant and freeze for 1 month". I haven't tried it yet so can't comment on taste/flavour, but I wonder if this would suit your needs for a milk (sort of) and smaller-sized frozen blocks to use as needed.

Hope you have agood trip - with an especially satisfying array of foodstuffs to sustain your travels. :)

Thank you, and it's good to see you around here again! Yes I missed your post before I went to Tesco. I wasn't aware of that milk, it's going on my list.

In the end I used powdered skimmed milk - that's what I've always used in the past, but after the previous weekend's bliss of regular cups of 'wild tea' with real skimmed milk, I thought I'd hate it this weekend. It wasn't actually too bad at all, I have to say. I think once you're a long way from home and surrounded by rocks, grass and sheep shot, your standards lower - I was really enjoying the cups of tea this weekend as well.

Reactions: Salvia

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AdamJames - Having had THE most amazing duck breast, cooked sous vide yesterday evening for dinner, I was thinking again about the vacuuming process.

When I wa in Lidl yesterday, they had remainers of their manual vacuuming offering (as opposed to the electric pump and thermal sealer). If you want to try vacuuming, with a modest outlay, something like that might work well for you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TAILI-Vacuum-Construction-Storage-Reusable/dp/B01NH9RY9R/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1526116263&sr=8-4&keywords=reusable+sous+vide+bag&th=1

The bags are really strong, and absolutely reusable, provided they are well washed and dried. I can think of some advantages of being able to open and close the bag as many times as you want (to add more spices to marinade for example), without cutting and resealing the bag.

If I hadn't been plotting for a sous vide for a while (and I love my gadgets!), I might have been tempted.

It's just a thought.

I spent 20 minutes on Wikipedia this morning learning a new thing - 'sous vide'. Interesting stuff. Temperature control and long cooking times are things I'll be avoiding when out hiking, but it seems like the technology, i.e. the bags and the vacuum sealers, could make for some very interesting possibilities. Definitely in terms of maximising shelf life, possibly even in making my own boil-in-the bag meals.

Was going to go to Aldi today, but now it's Lidl to see if I can spot any of their vacuuming equipment. This will probably be the first time I've been there since the demise of their high protein rolls! Thank you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spent 20 minutes on Wikipedia this morning learning a new thing - 'sous vide'. Interesting stuff. Temperature control and long cooking times are things I'll be avoiding when out hiking, but it seems like the technology, i.e. the bags and the vacuum sealers, could make for some very interesting possibilities. Definitely in terms of maximising shelf life, possibly even in making my own boil-in-the bag meals.

Was going to go to Aldi today, but now it's Lidl to see if I can spot any of their vacuuming equipment. This will probably be the first time I've been there since the demise of their high protein rolls! Thank you.
I use ziploc bags and the water displacement method with my sous vide. They work very well and I've so far not had a leak. I have done a couple of 48 hour cooks in them with the bag completely submerged.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I agree, sous vide isn't the way forward on a dinky CampingGas cylinder, but as you say, the sealed bags could be used for boil in the bag possibilities.

You can achieve a pretty much air-free bag, by using the displacement method - fill your ziploc bag, close the zip, leaving about an inch or so open, and slowly immerse in water. The water pushes out the air, and as you go deeper, choose the moment you finally seal the bag.

Please note that standard ziploc bags are good to go for fridge storage and freezing, but not suitable for sous vide/boil in the bag.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use ziploc bags and the water displacement method with my sous vide. They work very well and I've so far not had a leak. I have done a couple of 48 hour cooks in them with the bag completely submerged.

Do you use standard ziploc bags? I didn't think they're suitable for water bath cooking.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or you could always just do it fasted?

I'm very tempted to explore such extremes. As I've mentioned in the past, it seems I can do a fair bit of walking on no food, but I really struggle if I need to navigate because I get mentally sluggish. Most weekends I'm exploring new areas so need to navigate, but frankly these walking weekends are killing me. Yet again, I woke up this morning with a reading of 8. The input of food to feel comfortable doing these big walks is just too much. Frankly it's been so disheartening that I've been thinking of going back on medication.

So this week's project is to put more effort than ever into getting fat adapted. Breakfast was 2 slices of belly pork, 2 eggs and a small bit of some spinach, with a black coffee. The black coffee was a revelation - I actually quite liked it, and there's a lot of sweetness to the taste which I'd always presumed had come from the milk.

So far today, I'm pretty sure I'll have had less than 1g of carbs, and I intend to carry on like that.

Next weekend I'll be taking extremely low carb food on the walks. No snack bars, even if they are only 6g carbs. It will be things like cheese and chorizo and pork scratchings. And I'll see how far I can get without eating any of it.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use ziploc bags and the water displacement method

Physics!

I'm going to give that a try first. I could do with keeping things as cheap as possible at the moment.

You can achieve a pretty much air-free bag, by using the displacement method - fill your ziploc bag, close the zip, leaving about an inch or so open, and slowly immerse in water. The water pushes out the air, and as you go deeper, choose the moment you finally seal the bag.

Please note that standard ziploc bags are good to go for fridge storage and freezing, but not suitable for sous vide/boil in the bag.

Top tips, thank you.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep checking those out every time they are mentioned, and it's always the price that puts me off in the end! In your honest opinion, are they worth £2 for a small bar? I've been checking my Spar since you mentioned you saw them in yours and still haven't seen any, reduced or otherwise :(

I'm thinking I need to try them even if it's only once just so I can say I have. If nothing else it might give me some ideas about how to make something similar myself.

If I "only ever try one", would you recommend a particular flavour?
I'd probably recommend the pecan, goji and cocoa bar. Although the coconut, vanilla and acai is a close second. They are silly money, I have to admit but they were very useful at Christmas time - everyone else was scoffing cake, choccies, mince pies (my fave... *sob sob*!) so I tucked into a bar instead. Worked a treat :) They are a little crumbly though so best enjoyed sitting and admiring the view. There are various low-carb bar recipes but some of them have a tendency to either melt or fall apart - well worth a go though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AdamJames
I must admit that I find the Adonis bars very over priced and the flavour disappointing. I have tried the blondies and the brownies, and found both too dry and bitty to be recognisable as 'brownies'. The blondies seemed to be mainly dessicated coconut, which isn't something I expected in a 'brownie'.
However, other people sing their praises from the rafters, so you may turn out to be one of the enthusiasts.

If you can be bothered to bake for yourself, there are some much better low carb brownie recipes, including this one, which astonishingly uses abergine. I thought they were excellent. Although admittedly they may be too gooey and unctious for a camping trip
https://www.primalpalate.com/paleo-recipe/chocolate-fudge-eggplant-brownies/
(just substitute the palm sugar for erythritol :) )

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd probably recommend the pecan, goji and cocoa bar. Although the coconut, vanilla and acai is a close second. They are silly money, I have to admit but they were very useful at Christmas time - everyone else was scoffing cake, choccies, mince pies (my fave... *sob sob*!) so I tucked into a bar instead. Worked a treat :) They are a little crumbly though so best enjoyed sitting and admiring the view. There are various low-carb bar recipes but some of them have a tendency to either melt or fall apart - well worth a go though.
I agree. Pecan ones are quite nice, but they are a little overpriced.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd probably recommend the pecan, goji and cocoa bar. Although the coconut, vanilla and acai is a close second. They are silly money, I have to admit but they were very useful at Christmas time - everyone else was scoffing cake, choccies, mince pies (my fave... *sob sob*!) so I tucked into a bar instead. Worked a treat :)

That's kind of where I'd placed them due to the price - a very rare treat for special occasions. In the context of hiking, I could get through a 35g bar of nuts etc several times a day.

Unless @Rachox comes along with a more exciting suggestion, I'll try the pecan ones since you and @dbr10 seem to agree on that, and I like pecans!

Reactions: dbr10

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's kind of where I'd placed them due to the price - a very rare treat for special occasions. In the context of hiking, I could get through a 35g bar of nuts etc several times a day.

Unless @Rachox comes along with a more exciting suggestion, I'll try the pecan ones since you and @dbr10 seem to agree on that, and I like pecans!

I prefer the blue Adonis bar, the coconut one! However I’ve recently discovered Phd smart bars, shoot me now, they are even more expensive :wideyed: They are 2g carb or under per bar depending on flavour, but are 64g each bigger and more filling.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I prefer the blue Adonis bar, the coconut one! However I’ve recently discovered Phd smart bars, shoot me now, they are even more expensive :wideyed: They are 2g carb or under per bar depending on flavour, but are 64g each bigger and more filling.

BANG! You're dead! :)

Nice, the Phd ones seem better value given their weight and some of the offers I've just found online. Which ones are the low carb flavours, the ones I've found are quite a bit higher?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Might give us another choice. Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
0D8CFEFC-1DA6-40C1-8058-1AA6FA14D6BD.jpeg
BANG! You're dead! :)

Nice, the Phd ones seem better value given their weight and some of the offers I've just found online. Which ones are the low carb flavours, the ones I've found are quite a bit higher?

I can’t answer now I’m dead! ;)
Remember to subtract the polyols from the total carbs. The highest ‘impact carbs’ is the white chocolate blondie one at 2.1g carbs.

Reactions: dbr10