Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
That’s what it feels like anyway.

Last three to four days my weight has stabilised. I’m no longer losing weight and, judging by my scales, I’ve put on a pound or two. That’s fine as I didn’t expect the weight to come off at the same rate it had been doing.

I am completely disinterested in food. I ate yesterday and now feel like there’s a huge weight just sitting in my stomach.
I feel incredibly heavy and just not right. I noticed it yesterday at work and it’s even worse today. I’m not constipated or anything like that but I just feel rotten.

I try to find variety in the food I eat but none of this is making me say “Oh good it’s X for dinner” as it’s all equally unappealing.

My better half keeps telling me I’m doing incredibly well (She has zero willpower) but I am getting really down, now, about it all.

Think about making stuff but half the ingredients we don’t have or can’t find or, is it just me who finds this, are stupidly expensive ?.

I really think I’m in a rut. I’m fasting today for as long as I can because I feel so bad.

Welcome to my brick wall!

Reactions: Ponchu

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to read this.

I too don't really like what I have to eat and I now shop, cook and eat alone as my husband is totally unsupportive and even when he is having a curry I could eat without the rice, nan bread etc he just does it for himself.. Over time I have got used to what I must eat and most of the time just get on with it. I am lazy and don't like cooking, would much rather be doing other things, so that is partly my fault!

However, it does get better with time as you get a sort of acceptance of your diet. There are lots of lovely sounding recipes out there and as your partner sounds very supportive you could spend time cooking together.

Reactions: Ponchu

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Hmm.

I hate it when your (or my) mind slips into that kind of groove. The one that has people say "buck up", or "you need to snap out of it" .

Truth is. I think you have just subconsciously realised that this is how it is. Your diet is (to some limited). I think I eat far better, tastier and more varied food than I ever have. Certainly the macro side.

Your weight will be what it is. Mine dropped from 98 to 78 in 3 months. Then stopped. My weight hasn't changed more than a couple of pounds up or down since Christmas.

As for meals. You don't need fancy. Diet doctor is there but for real simple. I have a couple of 10 min pick ups.

Mince (20%) chopped bacon. Whatever sauce you prefer with chopped leeks.

Pork loin pan fried with mushrooms. Good with cauliflower cheese. Maybe beansprouts and peppers with some 5spice.

Good ol fashioned sausage, eggs, bacon.

Few starters. Start throwing some herbs and spices in there it gets even better.

I don't fast. Just have one meal a day and make it a good one.

Reactions: Patrick66

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Sorry to read this.

I too don't really like what I have to eat and I now shop, cook and eat alone as my husband is totally unsupportive and even when he is having a curry I could eat without the rice, nan bread etc he just does it for himself.. Over time I have got used to what I must eat and most of the time just get on with it. I am lazy and don't like cooking, would much rather be doing other things, so that is partly my fault!

However, it does get better with time as you get a sort of acceptance of your diet. There are lots of lovely sounding recipes out there and as your partner sounds very supportive you could spend time cooking together.

That sucks. What a self centred muppett.

Next time the man flu kicks in leave him to it. Same thing.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Patrick66, Have you thought that you might have what people call the 'keto flu'?
See dietdoctor.com for details. My experience of it was about 5 weeks ago during the hot Aussie heatwave here, which I think made matters worse.
Apparently our bodies have to adapt to the change from burning mainly sugars to burning mainly fat. The balance of fluid in the body needs time to adjust. What is suggested to ease things is salty foods and fluids ++. Others also take magnesium tablets etc.
I felt off food, tired, achy and irritable. Know that it passes in under a week.
Do not give up, it is a phase only - think of it as a pretty twisted form of initiation in the keto world!!
Best Wishes !!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is just my opinion but maybe this needs to look at this holistically and consider everything that you have to deal with, especially your sensory issues around food, for people with autism it isn't just a case of not liking something (food wise in this case) it can actually cause physical pain and all consuming sensory overload.

So maybe going very low carb isn't for you - there is no point in putting yourself through so much stress and discomfort- everyone has a right to enjoy their life not just live it!

Maybe go back to some of the foods you enjoy in small portions whilst doing intensive testing to see if you can tolerate them, maybe speak to your GP about actually having some medication to help you. There are lots of options before insulin.

We all want to manage our T2 with diet alone but sometimes for whatever reason that's not possible, and there is nothing wrong with that, THERE IS NO SHAME IN NEEDING MEDS TO DO THAT! Needing meds is not failure

It's YOUR diabetes, YOUR life - it's your right to live it the way that is best for you all round :)

Reactions: Daphne917

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or you might be brewing a virus. Several of us here have it and most viruses affect individuals differently. For example I have had the full works for 6 days now but my OH has had a lesser version and managed to get to work most days though is under par and cant muster an appetite. Take care.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Patrick66, Have you thought that you might have what people call the 'keto flu'?
See dietdoctor.com for details. My experience of it was about 5 weeks ago during the hot Aussie heatwave here, which I think made matters worse.
Apparently our bodies have to adapt to the change from burning mainly sugars to burning mainly fat. The balance of fluid in the body needs time to adjust. What is suggested to ease things is salty foods and fluids ++. Others also take magnesium tablets etc.
I felt off food, tired, achy and irritable. Know that it passes in under a week.
Do not give up, it is a phase only - think of it as a pretty twisted form of initiation in the keto world!!
Best Wishes !!
Thank you,

I think I went through some sort of barrier a couple of weeks back. Then I felt fine but have gone back to the pre-barrier stage.

Now I feel like I’ve put 22lbs on, not lost them lol.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This is just my opinion but maybe this needs to look at this holistically and consider everything that you have to deal with, especially your sensory issues around food, for people with autism it isn't just a case of not liking something (food wise in this case) it can actually cause physical pain and all consuming sensory overload.

So maybe going very low carb isn't for you - there is no point in putting yourself through so much stress and discomfort- everyone has a right to enjoy their life not just live it!

Maybe go back to some of the foods you enjoy in small portions whilst doing intensive testing to see if you can tolerate them, maybe speak to your GP about actually having some medication to help you. There are lots of options before insulin.

We all want to manage our T2 with diet alone but sometimes for whatever reason that's not possible, and there is nothing wrong with that, THERE IS NO SHAME IN NEEDING MEDS TO DO THAT! Needing meds is not failure

It's YOUR diabetes, YOUR life - it's your right to live it the way that is best for you all round :)
Well I’m on Metformin at its max dose.

I’m just experiencing some issues and it’s been a tough week at work. A long week and I have a very noisy social event this evening which I am dreading.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Or you might be brewing a virus. Several of us here have it and most viruses affect individuals differently. For example I have had the full works for 6 days now but my OH has had a lesser version and managed to get to work most days though is under par and cant muster an appetite. Take care.
Thank you.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

What a fabulous response. Such a timely reminder of the additional issues people have and how it impacts on the things they are trying to do to be healthy. I read often about the lower your A1c the better (and I tend to agree with that) but I did read something recently that said basically that is true for type 1s but with type 2s an A1c lower than around 6 (I THINK it was) does not give any additional benefits in relation to strokes & heart issues as one higher than in the 7s. Of course a lower A1 may provide countless other benefits but what I am saying is, if you are struggling to such an extent to be perfect then lovinglife's advice is spot on. Haven't got time to find the article but I have a feeling bulkbiker posted it.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you,

I think I went through some sort of barrier a couple of weeks back. Then I felt fine but have gone back to the pre-barrier stage.

Now I feel like I’ve put 22lbs on, not lost them lol.
The weight gain might be fluid retention - give it a week or two (Fingers and toes crossed )!!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I’m on Metformin at its max dose.

I’m just experiencing some issues and it’s been a tough week at work. A long week and I have a very noisy social event this evening which I am dreading.
Honestly, are things getting worse? You know I'm all for diets rather than medication, but man, that's what works for ME. Doesn't have to mean the same for you. If you're this miserable... There's other meds than metformin to get your bloodsugars down. Gliclazide is an option (though careful as you might hypo if you don't eat while on that! Indifference to food won't matter, you'll simply have to.), and yeah, insulin's an option too... If you still have an operation in your future for which to get your bloodsugars down, and this diet isn't working out for you the way you want it to... Time to re-evaluate your options and see whether there's something else you can do. Things with work remain stressful, which isn't good for your bloodsugars either, and it kinda sounds like the diet and the further restrictions are making it that much worse, depression-wise. I do think you have quite the spine for sticking with it, with all the added issues, but... Maybe it's time to explore other avenues?

Reactions: lovinglife

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Honestly, are things getting worse? You know I'm all for diets rather than medication, but man, that's what works for ME. Doesn't have to mean the same for you. If you're this miserable... There's other meds than metformin to get your bloodsugars down. Gliclazide is an option (though careful as you might hypo if you don't eat while on that! Indifference to food won't matter, you'll simply have to.), and yeah, insulin's an option too... If you still have an operation in your future for which to get your bloodsugars down, and this diet isn't working out for you the way you want it to... Time to re-evaluate your options and see whether there's something else you can do. Things with work remain stressful, which isn't good for your bloodsugars either, and it kinda sounds like the diet and the further restrictions are making it that much worse, depression-wise. I do think you have quite the spine for sticking with it, with all the added issues, but... Maybe it's time to explore other avenues?
I tried Gliclazide. Made me incredibly sick and had to come off it rapidly.

No, I can’t say there are too many alternatives other than keep on going till the bitter end.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried Gliclazide. Made me incredibly sick and had to come off it rapidly.

No, I can’t say there are too many alternatives other than keep on going till the bitter end.
Then I wish you strength, and am sending quite the big hug.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What a fabulous response. Such a timely reminder of the additional issues people have and how it impacts on the things they are trying to do to be healthy. I read often about the lower your A1c the better (and I tend to agree with that) but I did read something recently that said basically that is true for type 1s but with type 2s an A1c lower than around 6 (I THINK it was) does not give any additional benefits in relation to strokes & heart issues as one higher than in the 7s. Of course a lower A1 may provide countless other benefits but what I am saying is, if you are struggling to such an extent to be perfect then lovinglife's advice is spot on. Haven't got time to find the article but I have a feeling bulkbiker posted it.
I am doing it for a single purpose; to be operation fit.

Once that’s done then, perhaps, I will relax my regime very slightly and throw in the odd potato or grape, just to keep my spirits up.
I don’t want to return to the bad old days (not that I was ever that bad and believe that spending 4 months last year almost suicidal sent my sugars soaring) and I don’t miss sugar that much but oh to eat something I’d enjoy!.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Then I wish you strength, and am sending quite the big hug.
Thank you.

I’m supposed to hear if they will operate within the next few days. That’s been the motivation for all this. If I am cleared then perhaps I can relax a little. If I am not then I may have to be even more restrictive.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really? @bulkbiker do you know about this please?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.

I’m supposed to hear if they will operate within the next few days. That’s been the motivation for all this. If I am cleared then perhaps I can relax a little. If I am not then I may have to be even more restrictive.
I'll keep my fingers crossed it's been enough, and it can get done asap, so you can breathe again.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Patrick66 re above sorry didnt mean to deflect your thread but thought to question the remark re HBA1c while I had the chance. As always I wish you all the best.