Hit a wall , no will power

Chelle1424

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I was diagnosed as type 2 in Jan 22 with a hba1c 111. I found this site and immediately took on board low carbing, I was doing great and managed to get hba1c to 57 by May. I also lost 2 st, then I had an ugly episode with my depression and started to eat **** ( pizza,pasta,chocolate, crisps etc)
I've managed to put on nearly all the 2 st I lost and just can't seem to get back into low carb again, I think I'm addicted to carbs and sugar, I've got my next check up in Oct so determined to get a good result by then
Any tips on how I start again and kick my sugar habits.
Thanks for reading!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about trying a few weeks of carnivore.

2 great plus points..
1/ you don't have to worry about limiting the amounts of higher carb foods because you don't eat any anyway.
2/ it has been known to do wonders for mental health so it might help you get over the depression too?

actually 3 plus points eggs and bacon are great..

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find monitoring what I eat using a bg monitor helps me as I can see the effect immediately and can't pretend it's not harming me. Either finger pricking or cgm such as libre.

There's also loads of help online, Google sugar addiction. Most of it is American. UK wise Dr Jen Unwin has a website and a book, Fork in the Road which are good.

You've taken the first step, which is recognising it. Keep it up

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just start again and ditch the sugary foods and reduce your carb intake - you have already did it before ... so you CAN do it again - we all fall off the wagon some time (we are only human) especially during hard times which we all go through but as long as you get back on it again and just think how much better you will feel too. All the best and good luck!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I personally used gymnema sylvestre as a supplement to help out with sugar cravings when I ditched sugar after diagnosis. And I used cinnamon and vanilla in generous amounts to naturally sweeten low-carb baked goods and drinks. (I still do, but not as much as those newly sugar-free days.)

I also highly recommend low-carb substitution of your favourite comfort foods, if you think you might use food for comfort/pleasure (as many of us do), not just to satisfy hunger and nutritional needs. Find which sugar-substitute suits your taste buds and constitution, and if you don't have someone cooking and baking for you - I hope you are into spending some time in the kitchen? Unless you are lucky enough to live somewhere that does great low-carb fare that you can pick up or have delivered to you. (and, you can afford?!) And start to like collecting recipes if you are cooking for yourself and loved ones?

Those things were important parts of my low-carb journey.

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think carbs are what we are used to and it's hard to change how we have eaten all our lives.
Take it one meal at a time either reduce what you normally have or repace with no carbs.
The same happened to me I was doing great then for one reason and another I ignored that I was diabetic for a year, but I'm back to doing what I know I need for my health. I'm have the occasional slip but I'm not too hard on myself. Regular testing so you can see what's happening really does help.

Chelle1424

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies, I had stopped testing myself, sort of in a way if I don't know , it won't hurt. Which I know is silly.
Like Shirley said I was ignoring I was diabetic.
I'm definitely going to start up again, today is a new day and I'm ready to take care of myself.
I'm going to keep reading this forum for inspiration.
Thanks everyone

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Thanks for the replies, I had stopped testing myself, sort of in a way if I don't know , it won't hurt. Which I know is silly.
Like Shirley said I was ignoring I was diabetic.
I'm definitely going to start up again, today is a new day and I'm ready to take care of myself.
I'm going to keep reading this forum for inspiration.
Thanks everyone
Yes I have done the same. Pretending I can eat what I like. If I don’t test; I eat not very well - so the answer is to always test. When you see double figures you kno you are not doing yourself any favours. X

Reactions: Shirley64

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I went crazy low carb after diagnosis, this was incredibly successful for a long time but once I’d achieved every possible goal, I very slowly slipped back to non diabetic friendly habits, I never ate sweets or deserts, kept down the pasta, rice etc etc. As it has always been my nemesis, I did eat too much bread, I could inject for it but that meant a terrible rollercoaster of numbers so wasn’t really working. I also had a mini stroke, heart bypass and a ridiculous run of health issues (there is a point I promise) I am taking tablets called beta blockers that I’m certain are not helping me, I can’t exercise properly due to the heart, was crushed between two vans believe it or not and my legs are kinda bad, adding to my woes, ok ok the point….

I was sent to a diabetic psychologist, I am so very not the type to see a therapist, well 5 or 6 sessions later, this amazing person has changed everything. I felt like I was being dragged along by fate to an early grave. She has woken me up to the fact that I am not a passenger on my journey, I am the driver! Each time I come to a choice, be it food or step counting or drinking enough water, or taking my insulin on time, counting my carbs, whatever, everything boils down to a choice, I am not choosing if or not I eat the bread, I am choosing if or not I have rubbish numbers, I am choosing my path for that choice, it’s my choice if I get good numbers,it’s my choice if I lose the extra weight.

We are not passengers here, We are the drivers. We get to decide what happens to us. We are not choosing to eat foods that are bad for us, we are choosing to not care about ourselves. I have no idea if any of this makes any sense, I’m sorry if not. I wish you everything you choose for yourself :)

Passenger. ……………….. Driver

DC4CD237-771F-4E53-BE7C-B50DDC981652.jpeg
96E3AD1B-DD36-486B-A104-F8754C768EE0.jpeg

Reactions: Batul

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Each time I come to a choice, be it food or step counting or drinking enough water, or taking my insulin on time, counting my carbs, whatever, everything boils down to a choice, I am not choosing if or not I eat the bread, I am choosing if or not I have rubbish numbers, I am choosing my path for that choice, it’s my choice if I get good numbers,it’s my choice if I lose the extra weight.

We are not passengers here, We are the drivers. We get to decide what happens to us. We are not choosing to eat foods that are bad for us, we are choosing to not care about ourselves
@Fenn I love the way you expressed that!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi, I went crazy low carb after diagnosis, this was incredibly successful for a long time but once I’d achieved every possible goal, I very slowly slipped back to non diabetic friendly habits, I never ate sweets or deserts, kept down the pasta, rice etc etc. As it has always been my nemesis, I did eat too much bread, I could inject for it but that meant a terrible rollercoaster of numbers so wasn’t really working. I also had a mini stroke, heart bypass and a ridiculous run of health issues (there is a point I promise) I am taking tablets called beta blockers that I’m certain are not helping me, I can’t exercise properly due to the heart, was crushed between two vans believe it or not and my legs are kinda bad, adding to my woes, ok ok the point….

I was sent to a diabetic psychologist, I am so very not the type to see a therapist, well 5 or 6 sessions later, this amazing person has changed everything. I felt like I was being dragged along by fate to an early grave. She has woken me up to the fact that I am not a passenger on my journey, I am the driver! Each time I come to a choice, be it food or step counting or drinking enough water, or taking my insulin on time, counting my carbs, whatever, everything boils down to a choice, I am not choosing if or not I eat the bread, I am choosing if or not I have rubbish numbers, I am choosing my path for that choice, it’s my choice if I get good numbers,it’s my choice if I lose the extra weight.

We are not passengers here, We are the drivers. We get to decide what happens to us. We are not choosing to eat foods that are bad for us, we are choosing to not care about ourselves. I have no idea if any of this makes any sense, I’m sorry if not. I wish you everything you choose for yourself :)

View attachment 55626 View attachment 55627
Wow! What a fantastic read @Fenn and it all makes perfect sense!

Reactions: SuNuman

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m sorry to hear that. I too, struggle with depression at times. Have you tackled your depression? I would do that before worrying about your weight/glucose level etc. You know what needs to be done, but it’s just you don’t have the energy to do it. I get that.

A couple of things that might help - have you drunk enough water and getting outside (preferably in green spaces) to walk. Not drinking enough is my worst enemy and walking is good for your mental state. Also, if you are not feeling anxious, walking in new places can also help stimulate your mind.

If you can, try to lay out some grab and go snacks which are healthier - cheese, boiled egg, meats, fruit. Make it accessible and easy (our brains are so lazy, they take the most convenient option everytime :D ). If you have some energy try some low carb baking. Try to meal prep so you don’t have to do much during the week.

This will pass. good luck!

Batul

View attachment 55626 View attachment 55627
Fenn, this is amazing thank you. Has really helped me this morning.

Reactions: zand

Chelle1424

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Fenn thankyou for your inspiring post, hope you are feeling well you've been through so much!
Love the thought that I'm not the passenger, I am the driver.
Everybody has been so helpful I'm taking all your suggestions on board and doing a big shop today , I have looked up alot of recipes from diet Doctor and taking lots of inspiration from this site.

Annio

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cheese
Hi I was diagnosed as type 2 in Jan 22 with a hba1c 111. I found this site and immediately took on board low carbing, I was doing great and managed to get hba1c to 57 by May. I also lost 2 st, then I had an ugly episode with my depression and started to eat **** ( pizza,pasta,chocolate, crisps etc)
I've managed to put on nearly all the 2 st I lost and just can't seem to get back into low carb again, I think I'm addicted to carbs and sugar, I've got my next check up in Oct so determined to get a good result by then
Any tips on how I start again and kick my sugar habits.
Thanks for reading!
My take is different from very low carb but works for me and I still enjoy 'goodies'. I was 96 in Oct last 2 tests I'm now 36 technically remission. 3 stone loss and aware of losing more. I eat very similar to old diet just healthier versions. I buy chocolate from heavenly chocolate company it's 0.1%sugar no rubbish ingredients low cal and is very nice. I eat lentil or green pea healthy alternative crisps if feel need, I eat sugar free sweets if feel the need and these changes kept me sane. I do eat carbs I have a potato every day. But I eat low carb bread from Sainsbury's it's only 5grams a slice and very filling. I eat bit more veg as I'm not a bit veg eater but eat more cooked in olive oil in oven. I have strawberries, grapes and an apple every evening too. If I'm out with mates at pub I have normal pub meal chips steak pie etc, but watch food for rest of day. I couldn't do no or very low carb but I do limit carbs a bit but I basically followed all foods just healthy versions and moderation of 'forbidden' foods. My bloods are always in normal range 2 hours after meals now even pub grub! I will still be careful but I can't live in fear of carbs or a bit of what I fancy now and then. We're all different but my way works for me. Good luck.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
DONT BUY THE **** THEN YOU CANNOT EAT IT.
You're mainly addicted to buying the rubbish not the rubbish being your addiction (mostly).
So........what can you do about that? Find ways to stop you buying the rubbish. Distraction, someone else do the shopping, avoid bad retailers or shun their simply techniques to get you to eat their profit easy selling sugary rubbish. They are playing you.Dont let them.
Any other ways to stop buying the wrong foods?