Holiday Blood sugars

NorfolkNic

Hi everyone,

I've just returned from our annual holiday and am totally drained and full up with a cold.
Am I the only one who cannot get their blood sugars lower than very high teens whilst on holiday, even though I have a massive amount of insulin?
Husband not happy, he has to cook dinner now after a 12 hour day as I'm too tired

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry @NorfolkNic i struggle with holidays too - different food, exercise, routine, it all adds up, sometimes if you can accept that holidays will be unpredictable then it prepares your mindset to them, doesn’t make it any easier though.

NorfolkNic

I find holidays difficult because they are so different to my usual regime.
I eat different things, often so different carb counting is pure guess work; I drink different things and often drink more; I get up at different times, usually later but stay up later; and my exercise regime is different.
For me, the exercise makes the biggest difference - instead of my usual sitting at my desk for hours on end with a 1 hour trip to the gym at the end of the day, I am on the move for hours on end with a 1 hour lunch break when I sit down.

So, whilst the BG impact for me is in the opposite direction to yours, @NorfolkNic , I sympathise with the managing holiday blood sugars.

Holidays are supposed to be relaxing and fun. It doesn't sound as if your diabetes is letting you have that relaxation and fun. Perhaps it may help talking it through with your diabetes team to get some hints on how to manage your next holiday.

As for husband being unhappy because he has to cook dinner, I wouldn't worry if the alternative is you having to cook dinner after a 12 hour day!
Thank you for the reply, it's a nightmare isn't it, unfortunately my diabetic support team are hopeless, I rarely get to see them

NorfolkNic

Sorry @NorfolkNic i struggle with holidays too - different food, exercise, routine, it all adds up, sometimes if you can accept that holidays will be unpredictable then it prepares your mindset to them, doesn’t make it any easier though.
Thank you for the reply, do you end up feeling really drained after a couple of weeks away too ?

I have to laugh, you both mention exercise.....I've not got round to that yet x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @NorfolkNic sadly these days I never get 2 weeks away anywhere - lucky to get a week so it only takes a day or so to recover, I still find a change of scene important regardless of time away it’s just being mentally prepared to keep a close eye rather than relax completely otherwise things can go astray fairly easily.

Reactions: NorfolkNic

NorfolkNic

Hi @NorfolkNic sadly these days I never get 2 weeks away anywhere - lucky to get a week so it only takes a day or so to recover, I still find a change of scene important regardless of time away it’s just being mentally prepared to keep a close eye rather than relax completely otherwise things can go astray fairly easily.
I think I need to start getting myself prepared mentally before hand. I would love it if my husband would be happy staying at home for a couple of weeks rather than going away, he says he needs the holiday to unwind and relax..... Men

Reactions: porl69

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I've just returned from our annual holiday and am totally drained and full up with a cold.
Am I the only one who cannot get their blood sugars lower than very high teens whilst on holiday, even though I have a massive amount of insulin?
Husband not happy, he has to cook dinner now after a 12 hour day as I'm too tired
im exactly the same as you norfolknic i try not to let it spoil things do corrections then when im home get bgs bk to normal because no matter what i do while away bgs always rise :)

Reactions: NorfolkNic

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Hi @NorfolkNic,
I had exactly the same experience like you in July when i went to the Canaries, the first time out of London since my honeymoon ended last year March.
It took me over a week to recover and it left me really drained and depressed. On Saturday i'm going to Austria on a family visit and i'm already really nervose.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @NorfolkNic. Well I love my fortnite away, usually go to Turkey. My BGs on the other hand tend to be very unpredictable. Different food, better weather, more walking.......its another bit of complication to our already complicated life we live every day :). This is my 1st year on holiday with a pump, so I am hoping I get to manage my 2 weeks away better than normal.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @NorfolkNic can only agree with your comments. Like @porl69 I alsp have my 2 week holiday in Turkey. I think the heat, change of routine and in my case the fear of going hypo make me tend to run a bit higher than normal.

Bottom line is its only 2 weeks of the year and to be fair some of the time my BG are not that high, maybe 9--11, so dont think it will do do too much damage as such. I am lucky that even having slightly higher BG, it does not make me feel tired