Holiday high sugar levels - Oops!

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,

Just back from a weeks holiday and realized my vision had changed prescription, so tested my blood sugar level first thing in morning to find I was at 12.4.........ugghh this should normally be below 8.0 first thing!

So, i realized i must have been eating something regularly on hols that I thought was ok.......another uggghhh.

Over that first day home my level came down slowly and by late evening was down at 8.5.

However, whilst my eyesight is crystal clear the prescription has changed. I wear various pairs of varifocals so I easily recognized this.
I understand this is swelling of the lens in the eyes.

Last time this happened was back in 2016 when I was first diagnosed and I remember it did eventually return to normal........but I can't remember how long it took.
It's now been 48hrs since I dropped back down to 8.5.........anyone know how long it should normally take?

One interesting thing is that the prescription change is in the opposite direction to that of 2016.

One other thing, I felt a little sick yesterday after being out on my pushbike trying to drive the levels down. I had to lie down for 20mins.......after that I was ok.

Note to self: Take better care of blood sugar levels when on holidays!

Ian.
Type 2.

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I read online that it can take a few days to 6 weeks for lens swelling to return to normal.

Ian.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Unfortunately, I think your numbers are a bit too high to think about letting lose on vacation. Ideally you should be running under 7. Are you on medication?

Ian-J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Unfortunately, I think your numbers are a bit too high to think about letting lose on vacation. Ideally you should be running under 7. Are you on medication?
Yep, quite often under 7, even under 6......I was generalizing on the 8 figure I guess.

I'm on Metformin 1 tablet per day, and quite a bit of exercise, i.e. heavy bike ride each day weather permitting. No bike on holiday week though.

I read that heat can raise blood sugar levels through stress, well last week was one helluva hot holiday!

I've had a big wakeup call......lets just hope my HbA1C blood test isnt anytime soon......not sure how much 1 bad week would affect the HbA1C average!

Ian.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Ah, the 8 number had me wondering.

I just went through something similar, I went on vacation and totally went off plan. Low carbed for about three weeks, HbA1c was fine.

Reactions: Ian-J