Holiday - Newly Diagnosed 10 Year Old Boy

Jayden2407

Hi, we are due to go on holiday next month and I have been doing my research on what we need to take for my son and I came across a few different ID solutions. The ones that stuck out the most were the rubber wrist bands.
My question is; does your child wear this okay?
Or is there another ways to ID a diabetic as my son really isn’t keen to advertise his diabetes at the moment as it’s all so new! Would he have to wear something to identify his condition? He’s going to be with me pretty much all holiday as I will want to keep an eye on him with it being early days and knowing that the heat can have a massive impact on things.
Thanks

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Jayden2407 :)

Firstly, I'm not the parent of a child with diabetes, but my son does have ASD, so I can relate a little to the anxiety you feel about going away to a strange place with a child with additional needs.

Here's my take on it. Whether he had diabetes or not, you'd be watching him like a hawk, making sure he stays safe and has fun. It's a family holiday after all. Given that you'd already be watching him, that he's not expecting to spend time away from you and that you say he's "not keen to advertise his diabetes", I'd say not to ID him with a band or whatever.

What I used to do, when out and about in busy places with my son, would be to write my mobile number directly onto his arm, just above the wrist. Not in huge numbers, but large enough to be seen clearly. And then I'd rehearse with him who he needed to talk to if he couldn't see me anymore (people in uniforms belonging to the place where we were; people marked "steward", emergency services people, people with small children failing all of those).

I always felt that by identifying him by his disability, I was making him more vulnerable in a way, and in a big crowd, the priority was finding the lost boy, not finding the autistic boy, if you see what I mean.

Of course, though, as a parent trying to plan ahead, you also need a back-up plan just in case. And what I'd say is that you have all his medical information and emergency kit with you whenever you go out, but you just find a way to get your mobile number on him. But, honestly, if he wasn't the sort to run off before his diagnosis, he won't have changed much from that. And 10 is old enough to understand the rules of the situation.

I know you're deep in Mummy Mode, and planning this out ahead of time should (I hope!) bring you peace of mind when you go on holiday. But trust your instincts when it comes to your son. Perhaps consider buying him a little pay-as-you-go phone so that he can get hold of you if he needs you and you're, I dunno, in a swimming pool changing room or the loo at a restaurant.

Honestly, I'd say write your mobile number on him, rehearse what he needs to do in an emergency (of any kind, not just a diabetic one) and then trust him.

And, of course, have a FAB holiday!

Reactions: Jayden2407

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
When I was around that age I used to wear the SOS Talisman around my neck. I think Argos and Amazon do them now

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Jayden2407 You are absolutely right that heat/exercise/different food and routines can all impact on bg control, it's worth having a chat with your DSN before you go about adjusting insulin doses to help work out a plan of action for your time away. In regards to a wrist band or ID, am not entirely sure this is necessary as you'll be with him at all times, if he was attending a kids club or you were visiting a public place and there was potential for him to wander off then it would be useful then, I would think about getting him a backpack or bumbag to carry his glucose in, so it's close to him at all times and he can treat if he feels that he's going low. I also would check where the nearest hospital is too, without trying to cause alarm a friend went away recently with her young daughter who suffered a bad hypo due to heat and exercise as they were at a hotel the staff raised the alarm and called an ambulance so it was ok but this did scare them as it came on quite quickly.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Although not diabetic, when we are away with the grandchildren and they are off being a bit independent (girls 11y now) they have a snazzy lanyard and tag, with phone numbers on etc. Easy to tuck under a t-shirt so the card is not showing. It was reassuring that they had the hotel name and also mum's home phone number on while in Spain. I think the lanyards, on ebay, can be personalized but theirs had unicorns on - what else! :)

Jayden2407

Hi @Jayden2407 :)

Firstly, I'm not the parent of a child with diabetes, but my son does have ASD, so I can relate a little to the anxiety you feel about going away to a strange place with a child with additional needs.

Here's my take on it. Whether he had diabetes or not, you'd be watching him like a hawk, making sure he stays safe and has fun. It's a family holiday after all. Given that you'd already be watching him, that he's not expecting to spend time away from you and that you say he's "not keen to advertise his diabetes", I'd say not to ID him with a band or whatever.

What I used to do, when out and about in busy places with my son, would be to write my mobile number directly onto his arm, just above the wrist. Not in huge numbers, but large enough to be seen clearly. And then I'd rehearse with him who he needed to talk to if he couldn't see me anymore (people in uniforms belonging to the place where we were; people marked "steward", emergency services people, people with small children failing all of those).

I always felt that by identifying him by his disability, I was making him more vulnerable in a way, and in a big crowd, the priority was finding the lost boy, not finding the autistic boy, if you see what I mean.

Of course, though, as a parent trying to plan ahead, you also need a back-up plan just in case. And what I'd say is that you have all his medical information and emergency kit with you whenever you go out, but you just find a way to get your mobile number on him. But, honestly, if he wasn't the sort to run off before his diagnosis, he won't have changed much from that. And 10 is old enough to understand the rules of the situation.

I know you're deep in Mummy Mode, and planning this out ahead of time should (I hope!) bring you peace of mind when you go on holiday. But trust your instincts when it comes to your son. Perhaps consider buying him a little pay-as-you-go phone so that he can get hold of you if he needs you and you're, I dunno, in a swimming pool changing room or the loo at a restaurant.

Honestly, I'd say write your mobile number on him, rehearse what he needs to do in an emergency (of any kind, not just a diabetic one) and then trust him.

And, of course, have a FAB holiday!

Yes mummy mode all the way!! I’m such an organised person, it’s helped a lot since my sons diagnosis

Yes the anxiety of it all isn’t nice is it but I’m determined to keep things as “normal” as possible for my son while on holiday.

That’s a great idea that you have going on! Clever you :)
He certainly understands the situation (he’s 11 this month) and has been great with it all. I was just more worried of the fact that if he has a hypo that he is unable to treat himself at least the band would give an insight of what the problem is. I know a lot of people probably wouldn’t know what to do it that situation to be fair so yes you have a fair point.

I’ll be sure to put my number on his wrist when we’re out and about, thank you

Jayden2407

Hi @Jayden2407 You are absolutely right that heat/exercise/different food and routines can all impact on bg control, it's worth having a chat with your DSN before you go about adjusting insulin doses to help work out a plan of action for your time away. In regards to a wrist band or ID, am not entirely sure this is necessary as you'll be with him at all times, if he was attending a kids club or you were visiting a public place and there was potential for him to wander off then it would be useful then, I would think about getting him a backpack or bumbag to carry his glucose in, so it's close to him at all times and he can treat if he feels that he's going low. I also would check where the nearest hospital is too, without trying to cause alarm a friend went away recently with her young daughter who suffered a bad hypo due to heat and exercise as they were at a hotel the staff raised the alarm and called an ambulance so it was ok but this did scare them as it came on quite quickly.

Hiya,

Yes you’re right, he’ll be with me pretty much all of the time but I have ordered him a wrist band (just in case) he wants to wonder to a different part of the hotel resort with his 13 year old step brother, at least then he won’t have to wear it all of the time.

I will speak to DN regarding extra insulin as we’ve not done that yet... his Accu-expert meter is really good and it tells us how many correction doses to give if his readings are high.
Jayden has a “man bag” that he carries all of his things in and keeps it with him when he goes out with his friends. I have just ordered a Medi-cool Dia-Pak classic pouch to use while travelling and on holiday to keep his supplies cool
I have also checked and printed details of the nearest pharmacy and hospital - even sent the directions to my mobile! super organised mum.

Thank you for your reply :)