Holiday time!

pinky_69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How do you all cope when you go away on holiday? Do you have the odd dessert treat ? Meal out? Couple glasses of wine? I feel as if i cant ever enjoy life to the fulliest again :(

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've found everything in moderation is fine - but avoid carbs and sugar. Your BG is not massively high (noted on your other post) so relax enjoy the holiday have a few wines - and do your best to avoid carbs and sugar.

Monitor your BG before and after meals - so u can see what foods affect you the most.

I'm 47 to - not overweight but managed to beat your BG high score which is not a good thing. I'm in week 5 with BG in the 6 - 8 range - hitting lows of 5.3 and highs just over 10 once thanks to a chock top icecream at the movies. So u can live just be mindful of what u eat.

Reactions: 4 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoy my holidays, but sometimes the food aspects are difficult (but I am vegetarian so that along with low carb can be tricky in some countries).

I eat out and eat well, but I choose items carefully, salads etc fresh local vegetables, scrambled eggs for breakfast etc. I find that restaurants are usually really good at swapping items on menus, and almost all have a salad that can be adapted, I like trying new vegetables and variations of salad, and I love cheeses, I will often order the local cheese plate and ask for a bit of salad instead of the biscuits. If you eat meat you could treat yourself on holiday to different meats such as ostrich or alligator.

For breaks away in UK its much easier, breakfast in hotels are easy to do low carb and vegetarian, it is difficult when there is so much temptation on the breakfast buffet but I just tell myself I value my eyesight, feet etc and if I stick to low carb I can enjoy my holiday without feeling ill with high blood glucose levels.

I have a tiny taste of my sons dessert on holiday, but only occasionally not at every meal (actually only if its chocolate based) . I do have an occasional ice cream but I choose a very good quality full fat version (don't have wafer or cone). If we are going somewhere that does a local speciality I will have a small taste, rather the a full serving, so the entire family might share a serving between us.

I test my blood sugar levels and adjust my food accordingly but I don't stress if my levels are a little higher than normal, but we don't go on holiday very often.

I also do more exercise on holiday, walking, swimming, dancing etc.

Reactions: 2 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Know how you feel friend, it's a decision we all have to make for ourselves. Pearsonally, I allow myself 1 ice cream cone per holiday plus 1 large glass of wine most evenings of holiday. Normally I have 1 alcoholic drink per week on a Saturday and no ice cream or deserts - only on high days and holidays! I have been known to march past the biscuits/bread/cakes aisles in the supermarket muttering "aisle of death" It gets easier the more you resist - honestly! :)

Reactions: 2 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@pinky_69 along with the food/drink issue don't forget travel insurance. I don't pay any extra for my holiday insurance than my non-diabetic husband (actually he pay more due to bad back). But it is strongly advised to always declare your T2. I found that the standard insurers were cheaper than the so-called "pre-existing/medical" insurers.

SulisMinerva

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone recommend some travel insurance please? My type 2 is diet controlled only but I have a prescription for sleeping pills and that seems to be the culprit in raising my current insurance by £85.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SulisMiverva I have bought an annual policy from Holiday Safe www.holidaysafe.co.uk for the last two years and neither my Diabetes or my wife's Crohns has made any difference to the premium.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any more recommendations for travel insurance? I've searched online and got lots of very different quotes (T2 no medication, age 69). The one via DiabetesUK at £113.65 is the highest so far.