Holiday to USA

briancw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My wife (type 2 diabetes insulin controlled) and myself are flying to Arizona later in 2012. We have been told by BA that we need a doctors letter to carry the insulin in our hand luggage. No problem, but does anyone know wether we need any special packaging for the insulin due to the heat and the fact that it will be in our hand luggage for around 15 hours before we reach our destination. Anyone with any previous experience on this subject we would be pleased to hear from.
Thank you

Brian

Sjbalswin147

Hiya, I use novo rapid but had the same concerns on a trip 5 years ago and have since been every year. I do keep the insulin in a small cool bag and it has been fine every time. Also (forgive the obvious) make sure you carry carbohydrate quick and long lasting on the flight and carry enough for the trip and extra. I also duplicate all of that and put it in the suitcase. This gives me spare but also the plane hold tends to be cooler. Never had a problem. Most American hotel rooms have a fridge and if not they will provide one if asked. Enjoy Steve.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't help you with the insulin sorry as I'm just on tablets.
We went to Arizona in October and all our rooms had fridges.
Loved the area and would love to go again sometime.
Hope you have a good time.
Angie

briancw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you Steve and Angie for your helpful advice. Luckily we are going to stay with our son who lives in Arizona so once we are over there there should be no problem. If anyone else has any advice we would be grateful

Thank you

Brian

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What month are you travelling? Difficult to know what temperatures you will experience without knowing this. Personally, I've travelled across the Atlantic (to Central and South America, not USA) with insulin several times and never had any problems. For physical protection against knocks and temperature, I prefer to use a stainless steel vacuum flask, empty during flights to comply with fluid restrictions (no fluid, just cartridges in their plastic bubble packs) and filled with cool water at other times. Some people like Frio packs, but I think they're too expensive, don't offer as much physical protection against crush, vibration etc and have to be kept wet, but not so wet that they swell.

I would take extra supplies of insulin, blood glucose test strips etc, but I would never allow any insulin to travel in the plane hold, as temperatures can be below freezing at flight altitude. Spare lancets are OK in hold, as temperature won't affect them.

s230787

If you are worried during the trip ask a flight attendant to store the insulin in a cabin fridge, I do a fair bit of travelling and the air hostesses have been more than helpful, even allowing me to sit in their quarters when injecting insulin so I would have nore room than in the toilet.

I've learnt airport staff deal with it everyday and the only place I have been where they have questioned my insulin and needles, even with a doctors note, is Bali. He sure was intrigued by my novorapid pen!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
s230787 said:
If you are worried during the trip ask a flight attendant to store the insulin in a cabin fridge

What a good idea, I'll have to remember to ask next time I fly! :thumbup:

PennyL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there,

I travel backwards and forwards to Florida twice a year and use a Frio bag for my meds on the flight. This keeps all the injections at around fridge temperature. The Frio does have to "breathe" to work though and so it needs to be open to the air and not carried in a plastic bag. This is great for travelling as it works by plain water alone - no fridges etc. perfect for flights. Each little bag takes a couple of days to dry out so will definitely last the journey and keep cold, even if you get delayed.

Sometimes it can get very cold in the hold and I have been advised not to take my Victoza in my suitcase. So, I pack them all in bubble wrap and ice gel packs in a small thermos bag and just put the one I am using in my Frio bag.

You can buy Frio at Frio.co.uk or on eBay or Amazon, for a 2 pen bag it's about £15 but I've had mine for about 3 years and it still works fine. They have larger bags and also insulin carrying packs as well.

Not all crew will store your meds in the fridge, so it's best to make your own arrangements. Your GP or Hospital will provide a letter for you to carry to describe your meds and equipment which you will need to carry in your hand luggage with your medication. I was also told to carry all meds in my hand baggage as suitcases can go missing..!!

Hope this helps.

Happy Travels..!!

briancw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
:) Thank you all for your very helpful tips. I must admit we feel much more happier going now

Brian