Holiday

Robynoksana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all

In need of advice!! Im due to go on holiday in May (the first time since T1 diagnosis a year ago, actually the first time in 15 years!) And i have no idea how I need to prepare....

Do I need a doctors note to take my insulin etc? Also, how will hot weather affect my insulin absorbtion/BG? Or any other advice anyone thinks is useful - i dont even know what I should be asking.

Thanks in advance x

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey Robynoksana.
Very jealous of your holiday! I get a letter from my doc explaining why I have needles etc. Seems to be fairly standard from docs.
If you are going somewhere hot, the heat will drop your sugars. I would advise you check your sugars regularly and if needs be, decrease your basal. Always have some sort of fast acting carb with you just in case. I went to lanzarote and there was a heatwave, I loved all the ice cream, food and coke to keep me stable

Reactions: Dodo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Robynoksana I second the advice about heat, I find heat makes me burn glucose at a faster rate, so reducing basal and regular testing, you have to take a bit more care in the heat. I also use a Frio bag to store my insulin as it keeps it cool. Personally I have never been asked for a doctors letter when travelling through airports, I think they see a few type 1's. I also keep all my kit in hand luggage, and if you can afford to using a libre is useful as it saves you doing the testing. I try to switch off on hols so a libre is useful for just seeing if you're going high/low and knowing when to take evasive action to avoid hypos.

Have a fabulous time :)

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I third the advice about heat and summer in general, I require alot less insulin in the summer months.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a letter from my GP which I always take, plus a copy of my prescription, although I've never needed to use either. I agree with the advice about the Frio wallet, very good for keeping insulin cool.

Reactions: bushbri

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks everyone!!x
Quick note - if you have a chance ask for an undated letter from your dsn or consultant (as GPS often charge for them). Undated as it means you can keep the letter and make a copy whenever you go away! My doctor suggested this to me so I have a scanned version saved on my laptop and can keep it up to date (I had a few difficulties as I used to travel with a letter from 97 when I was diagnosed and some places felt I was maybe no longer diabetic!) but overall travelling with diabetes is super easy. Another thing that may be worthwhile asking for is an insulin passport on the off chance something does go wrong on holiday, you can take it to the local pharmacy and they can find the same insulin (it's a credit card with a picture and the name of your insulin plus your NHS info). Enjoy your holiday!!

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Always take an extra supply of both insulins (extra pens if that's what you use) and of course A GLUCAGON KIT.

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Usually we get an apartment if we go on holidAy rather then a hotel as they have a fridge and a kitchen so you can make your own low carb breakfast etc. When it is warm I need more insulin. The most important thing is you enjoy your holiday!

Robynoksana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Okay so this is the letter my dsn gave me and ....frankly it kinda looks like I wrote it myself.
Its not on letter head, signed, and its written in comic sans is this going to pass at airport security? Im flying out on tuesday and starting to panic!

Attachments

• 20170513_173343.png
    20170513_173343.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 148

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay so this is the letter my dsn gave me and ....frankly it kinda looks like I wrote it myself.
Its not on letter head, signed, and its written in comic sans is this going to pass at airport security? Im flying out on tuesday and starting to panic!

In my experience so far no one has looked at my letter. I always put it in its envelope on top of all my stuff in the tray. The first time I did it I was very worked up. (Not helped by also helping to supervise 30 very excited 11 yr olds.) All 3 months after diagnosis!
By the 3rd time I was very blasé! Good luck and enjoy.

D

Deleted member 391597

Hi @Robynoksana,

I was diagnosed about 7 weeks ago and went away to Gran Canaria last week. I had already booked the holiday before diagnosis so was a little worried but everything worked out great!
I had a letter from my DSN stating I was a Type 1 diabetic just incase airport security asked about why I was carrying needles (which they didn't) and took all my medication in my hand luggage.
I used a Frio bag to keep my insulin cool when out and about during the day which was fab.
My sugars did run on the low side for the first 4/5 days (I'm assuming because of the heat) so my advice would just be to test more regularly and carry a snack with you just incase you need to get your levels up...make the most of the extra snacks and enjoy!

Reactions: HLC2017

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Robinoksana - o agree with the others / my letter has only been looked at once & that was years' ago! You'll be fine. Test regularly & enjoy your hol.