Holiday

Blue eyed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type one diabetic and I am going to have an early start getting up at 1am to go on holiday having my tea and insulin at 5pm the night before but what do I do about my normal bed time insulin and tablets

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I cannot comment on the tablets as I only take insulin.
The purpose of your daily night time insulin is to work with the glucose that drips from your liver throughout the day and night. This once a day insulin is often called basal is a long acting insulin that lasts about 24 hours. Therefore, it should continue to be taken about 24 hours apart regardless of what time you go to bed. Most long acting insulin is ok if you take it one hour earlier or later.

Just to add, some basal insulins are taken twice a day. These last about 12 hours.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

Blue eyed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou for your message but I'm still worried as I will be taking my insulin about 3 and a half to 4 hours b4 I normally do will I be alright?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
Thankyou for your message but I'm still worried as I will be taking my insulin about 3 and a half to 4 hours b4 I normally do will I be alright?
What insulin(s) are you using? In particular, the basal?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why are you taking it earlier?
Why not take it 24 hours after your last dose?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type one diabetic and I am going to have an early start getting up at 1am to go on holiday having my tea and insulin at 5pm the night before but what do I do about my normal bed time insulin and tablets
I’d say your basal. (Long acting insulin.) At the usual time.

Keep a close eye on BGs for the next couple of days adjusting to local time & the same when back home?
Night time activity may affect how your basal dose at normal times affect your BGs? Especially traveling whilst normally asleep?
Keep a close eye on it & enjoy your break….