Holidays with limited walking

goldfish_21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all,

Better introduce myself before I go jumping in with a request for advice. This is my first post, although I have been reading the boards for a few weeks and have picked up a wealth of useful info and advice. I was diagnosed last November and am slowly getting to grips with what this whole 'having diabetes' thing means and how to live with it (despite quite frankly abysmal guidance from GP and diabetic clinic).

My diagnosis came about as I have been having problems with my feet for some time, and my gp said basically there's nothing wrong with you - go away. So.... I turned to the internet, found that diabetes can be the cause of a lot of foot problems and decided to test using my Aunt's testing kit just to rule that out so that when I went back for a second opinion we could skip straight past that and on to the next thing. My BS reading came out at 28 and was consistently between 14 (fasting) and 28 (after eating) over the next week. Cue panic all round, a very nice trainee doc got me an emergency appointment at the diabeic clinic and was immediatley diagnosed as type 2 and put on metaformin followed later by glimepiride.

Anyway, got distracted by the back story there. My query today is regarding planning a holiday. In the past my partner and I would always stay in a little B&B somewhere picturesque in the UK within easy access of lots of walking/castles/museums etc. Am now limited with regards to being unable to walk without pain. Struggle to manage from the car to the flat some days. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions of places to go or things to do (in the uk) that require very little walking/standing? Am hoping there may be some people on here who have been in a similar situation.

Thanks

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I really liked Weymouth, although I did walk a fair bit, there probably wasn't need to. There are boat trips from the harbour, I was also lucly enough to see a beach handball competition there (team game with more clothes than beach volleyball). Plenty of bars and places to eat at decent prices, there were a lot of pubs advertising live music and a good variety of styles was also on offer. It's also a nice base to travel to various other places nearby.

GaT

Both my wife and I have walking problems. In recent years we have found Google Earth very useful in picking a holiday location. We use the google maps to check distances, find the car parks etc. and the Street View to check the slopes.

We have to accept that on much of our coast line there are lots of slopes.

We like to hire houses for holidays and if the main areas are flat enough we sometimes hire a place up the hill (for the view) and use taxis.

That's just us of course but have a look at Google Earth we do find it very useful.

Take Care