Holidays

Steve 007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just returned from a 10day holiday, and cannot praise the Carbs & Cals app enough. For me Carb counting was always something I struggled to understand so after the 14day free trial I bit the bullet (didn’t fancy carrying the Carbs & cals book around forever) and paid for a year - about 30 odd quid. It works well in UK for normal meals at home, and when out, where you can plan what you’re going to eat, or select accordingly off a menu, however abroad on all inclusive buffet choices & choices off menus it excelled Itself. There is no way I could confidently have had the range of foods available, and kept sugars down without it. Probably over 10days sugars were within range for around 90-95% of the time. So reassuring to have that backup and help available. I’d recommend anyone to try the free 14day trial and see what they think.
PS not being benefitted for promoting this, it’s just my own feelings and opinion on an issue that I’ve struggled with.
Steve

Pam*

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just returned from a 10day holiday, and cannot praise the Carbs & Cals app enough. For me Carb counting was always something I struggled to understand so after the 14day free trial I bit the bullet (didn’t fancy carrying the Carbs & cals book around forever) and paid for a year - about 30 odd quid. It works well in UK for normal meals at home, and when out, where you can plan what you’re going to eat, or select accordingly off a menu, however abroad on all inclusive buffet choices & choices off menus it excelled Itself. There is no way I could confidently have had the range of foods available, and kept sugars down without it. Probably over 10days sugars were within range for around 90-95% of the time. So reassuring to have that backup and help available. I’d recommend anyone to try the free 14day trial and see what they think.
PS not being benefitted for promoting this, it’s just my own feelings and opinion on an issue that I’ve struggled with.
Steve
I use the book a lot. Does the app give you lots more like buffet choices, restaurant meals etc? I'm hoping to go on a fully inclusive holiday this year and am worried about how to guess the carbs.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Steve 007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, the app has a list of 28 restaurants and their offerings, ranging from something like Bella Italian, Starbucks, Wagamama etc. Buffet choices work reasonably well, when I had something that was not exact, then there are a good range of similar items to give a decent carb number. You can get a free 14th day trial of the app, maybe sign up and see what you feel before going away. It’s certainly easier than carrying a book. For me the annual subscription of about £32 was money well spent for convenience and ease
Good luck
Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelofthemarches
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just purchased the book following an appt with diabetes team 2 weeks ago.
I've always counted baked beans in my carb to insulin ratio, however the dietician told me not to.
T h e book arrives and low and behold it counts the carbs so I'm confused.com right about now

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just purchased the book following an appt with diabetes team 2 weeks ago.
I've always counted baked beans in my carb to insulin ratio, however the dietician told me not to.
T h e book arrives and low and behold it counts the carbs so I'm confused.com right about now
I have no idea why you would be told not to include baked beans in your carb count.
With the tomato sauce they contain a fair amount of sugar

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have no idea why you would be told not to include baked beans in your carb count.
With the tomato sauce they contain a fair amount of sugar
I think the amount of sugar varies a lot by brand as well...

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On DAFNE we were told to halve the carbs to account for the very slow rise from the actual beans. Very rarely eat them these days but on the odd occasion I do, I follow this advice and it works well.

Steve 007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh don’t you just hate libre 2 outside the UK- third time abroad this year, and third time the sensor dies. good job i went prepared with the fallback finger pricks. At least app allows notes to be input and can still read the insulin measures from the pen. As an aside, 2 yrs on I’m struggling with the whole way my Type 3 happened, the impact it had on retiring from work after 45yrs and how life has changed - anyone know of any counselling schemes available for such situations? Will phone my diabetic team next week, but reckon all that will happen is I’ll be put on a list. cheers in advance Steve

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77