Home baking…

Em55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
we do lots of home baking in our household. I am now newly diagnosed late onset type 1 .
i Love looking at new healthy recipes but many have maple syrup in, instead of refined/granulated/’proper suagr’ in.
so my query is, is maple syrup in home baked goods ok for us ?
thank you in advance.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Em55 and welcome. Unfortunately maple syrup is not good for diabetics. It might be a good idea to get a blood glucose monitor so you can check your before consumption reading then 2 hours after to see what affect if has on you. We’re all different and all have a different reaction. As you’re experimenting with ingredients it would be really good and helpful to find out what you can and can’t eat within your set daily carbohydrates and not spike your BG (blood glucose) too high.

Reactions: Em55

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately maple syrup is not good for diabetics.
It is important to distinguish between types of diabetes.
While it may be true that sugary foods such as maple syrup are not good for people with type 2 (as the OP has been diagnosed), Type 1 diabetes is managed with insulin not diet. Therefore, if we dose insulin correctly, maple is as good for people with Type 1 diabetes as it is for people without diabetes.
I know I am being pedantic but if someone newly diagnosed with Type 1 were to read this thread (which is not in the type 2 sub forum) they would be misinformed. Sadly, as it is common to abbreviate type 2 diabetes to just diabetes, it is common for someone newly diagnosed with Type 1 to become confused and misled.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gentle reminder guys, the OP is a very newly diagnosed T1 looking for recipes, please help them out with that and if you want to discuss the differences of T1 & T2 please feel free to start up your own thread

Back on topic guys

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77 and EllieM

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
@In Response i would have thought sugary foods were bad whichever type of diabetes you have?
Definitely was the case when I was first diagnosed as T1 in 1980 but thankfully due to the Basel Bolus regime nothing is really off limits . Obviously like non diabetics eating large quantities of high sugary products isn’t really recommended but in moderation shouldnt be a problem. It takes quite a bit of trial and error with insulin dosages and blood sugar levels but sugary products are ok as far as I’m concerned

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
I would argue that maple syrup is fine as long as you learn to dose for it correctly. Looks like it has 67g of carbs per 100g so you'll need to count its carb value when you use it. Most T1s are on a basal bolus regime which means they have a background basal level of insulin for when they aren't eating and when they do eat they count the carbs in the food and inject the insulin appropriate for those carbs. (Simplifying a bit).

• Agree
Reactions: In Response

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Em55 i apologise for taking the discussion off on a tangent.
As you can see, the questions about whether maple syrup is suitable for people with diabetes depends upon your type of diabetes.
I am a little confused. According to your profile. I am seeing that you have type 2 treated with tablets but in your post you mention that you have late onset Type 1.
If you have Type 1 and carb counting, Type 1 diabetes diagnosis is not a reason to give up your baking and maple syrup. Some people chose to reduce their sugar consumption for the same reasons people without diabetes chose to reduce sugar but a healthy diet for someone with Type 1 is the same healthy diet as someone without diabetes.

Melgar

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made my own maple syrup when I lived in Quebec. I had nearly 100 Sugar Maple trees which I tapped. The resulting sap is boiled down to produce the syrup. I would not hesitate to use maple syrup in my cooking. It has a lovely deep flavour.

Maple syrup is highly regulated in Quebec with strict policies in place around quality and quantity. The syrup is graded by colour and flavour. The tapping of Maples has been done by indigenous peoples for centuries. There is even a ritualized maple dance.

Em55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Em55 i apologise for taking the discussion off on a tangent.
As you can see, the questions about whether maple syrup is suitable for people with diabetes depends upon your type of diabetes.
I am a little confused. According to your profile. I am seeing that you have type 2 treated with tablets but in your post you mention that you have late onset Type 1.
If you have Type 1 and carb counting, Type 1 diabetes diagnosis is not a reason to give up your baking and maple syrup. Some people chose to reduce their sugar consumption for the same reasons people without diabetes chose to reduce sugar but a healthy diet for someone with Type 1 is the same healthy diet as someone without diabetes.
Ah yes!i can’t see show to edit my profile/info. When I joined here I was being treated for type 2 with meds I mentioned but now I’ve been diagnosed as late onset type 1, so insulin pre meals and a night time one.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah yes!i can’t see show to edit my profile/info. When I joined here I was being treated for type 2 with meds I mentioned but now I’ve been diagnosed as late onset type 1, so insulin pre meals and a night time one.
You can change your profile on the web version (I have no idea about the app), by clicking on your name on the top right of the page and then selecting Account details
1720080617056.png

Melgar

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
we do lots of home baking in our household. I am now newly diagnosed late onset type 1 .
i Love looking at new healthy recipes but many have maple syrup in, instead of refined/granulated/’proper suagr’ in.
so my query is, is maple syrup in home baked goods ok for us ?
thank you in advance.
It’s a shame home baking has taken a back seat in preference to store bought and pre packed ready meals. I cook everything from scratch. Maple syrup has a lovely deep flavour. I wouldn’t give it up, especially as you can simply adjust your insulin. I have a whole collection of cookery books which I use. I grow all my own herbs. I would have bees but I’m nervous because my mom was highly allergic to their sting, I’ve never been stung by a bee. Do t give up your home cooking, there is nothing better, maple syrup and all .

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77