honeymoon has anyones lasted years?.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi guys i wanted to ask everyone here has any of you guys had a very long honeymoon meaning years like 15+ years?.

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know that you have said 15+ years. I am now 3 years post diagnosis and have been wondering that same question. As others have posted, I too also struggled for about 10 years with extreme lows after exercise or during high temperatures.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ponchu

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi guys i wanted to ask everyone here has any of you guys had a very long honeymoon meaning years like 15+ years?.

But what is the definition of honeymoon. You can't tell when it's ended. Type 1 but not on insulin or type 1 who thinks still producing own insulin a bit ? It's not clearly defined. I think I lived with type 1 triggered but without insulin for up to 10 years undiagnosed on normal high carb diet. I had constant low sugar problems in that period.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone know - can you get a C-peptide test for the honeymoon period? Could this be symptomatic of LADA or another type of diabetes?

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But what is the definition of honeymoon. You can't tell when it's ended. Type 1 but not on insulin or type 1 who thinks still producing own insulin a bit ? It's not clearly defined. I think I lived with type 1 triggered but without insulin for up to 10 years undiagnosed on normal high carb diet. I had constant low sugar problems in that period.
Were you testing your BG at that time? How did you know your sugar was low?

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know - can you get a C-peptide test for the honeymoon period? Could this be symptomatic of LADA or another type of diabetes?
Yes c-peptide might be used but will it still work if you are low carbing ?

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Were you testing your BG at that time? How did you know your sugar was low?
No not testing then but it was desperate panicky hunger and feeling weak and sweating from head to toe, which went away as soon as I eat carbs (kit Kat and sugary drink), I used to call it low sugar condition, never thought I had diabetes !

Reactions: porl69

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No not testing then but it was desperate panicky hunger and feeling weak and sweating from head to toe, which went away as soon as I eat carbs (kit Kat and sugary drink), I used to call it low sugar condition, never thought I had diabetes !
That's interesting because I too thought I had a low sugar condition and was frequently getting the shakes which would go away with sugar in my tea. Then I found out I am type 1.

Reactions: michita
D

Deleted Account

@michita ta and @JAT1 your comments are interesting.
As we know, type 1 is when our bodies are unable to produce insulin. As a result, our BG rises and, untreated our BG would get dangerously high.
This does not match with your feelings of low blood sugar which went away when you had something sweet.

Before I was diagnosed with type 1, I too would experience symptoms which I now associate with low BG.
I have always assumed those symptoms had nothing to do with my later type 1 diagnosis.
They usually occurred when I hadn't eaten for some time and I had been very busy doing something which would be burning up my natural sugar levels (e.g. running).
But it is interesting I am not the only person who has experienced this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I didn't have a honeymoon period, but it's still an interesting thread.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. My honeymoon period has lasted around 10+ years but I think my beta cells are now fairly dead based on my increased insulin injection needs over the last year.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@michita ta and @JAT1 your comments are interesting.
As we know, type 1 is when our bodies are unable to produce insulin. As a result, our BG rises and, untreated our BG would get dangerously high.
This does not match with your feelings of low blood sugar which went away when you had something sweet.

Before I was diagnosed with type 1, I too would experience symptoms which I now associate with low BG.
I have always assumed those symptoms had nothing to do with my later type 1 diagnosis.
They usually occurred when I hadn't eaten for some time and I had been very busy doing something which would be burning up my natural sugar levels (e.g. running).
But it is interesting I am not the only person who has experienced this.

There was another lady who said this happened. So it seems this is an early symptom for type 1, maybe more common for adult onset.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. My honeymoon period has lasted around 10+ years but I think my beta cells are now fairly dead based on my increased insulin injection needs over the last year.

Are you adult onset and are you on low carb diet ? I started with 2 units of basal a day and increased to 4 units and now 8. I wonder if I had started low carb diet earlier my beta cells would be in a better condition now.. But now after 2.5 years I also feel maybe the amount doesn't matter so much I have to inject anyway.

D

Deleted Account

There was another lady who said this happened. So it seems this is an early symptom for type 1, maybe more common for adult onset.
I would say “may” be an early symptom but it was something I experienced up to 20 years before I was diagnosed so it could be a coincidence.

fionaclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The most I’ve heard of is 11 years.

I’m at 2.5 years. Have eaten low carb since the beginning and have never needed insulin.

Kbarbaracollins_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve had T1 19 years and seem to have prolonged my honeymoon period by following Dr Bernstein’s low carb - not to the letter but mostly. It went to see him after 10 years and his assessment was that I still had 50pc of my insulin production. 9 years on that may have dropped a bit but I am still on low doses of insulin - 4 units Tresiba, 15-20 units Novorapid. Dr Bernstein maintains that maintaining normal blood sugars means you can prolong the honeymoon period indefinitely. I’m certainly giving it a try

RSJ1301

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I've had diabetes for 22 years and I still go through periods where I have to cut my insulin intake drastically for a few months (with no other change in diet or exercise). The DSN said I was using homoepathic doses at the last clinic visit! Sadly I can't do without but do seem to be very sensitive (0.5U of novorapid can make a substantial difference). I don't do low carb but have been mostly vegetarian for years, completely in the last 6 months.

tomrose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I'm 6 months down the line now - have been on a low(ish) carb diet since the start, plenty of exercise and have recently switched to (almost) entirely gluten free diet to see if this will prolong the honeymoon. Currently taking 2 units of Levemir per day, no Novarapid at all. Could probably do without the Levemir, but as it is not giving me hypos have been advised to stick with it. Last Hba1c was 49 in November, diagnosed start of July. Diagnosed with sky high antibodies, Hba1c of 98, ketones and the rest so they are pretty sure it's type 1!
I'm interested to see how long it will last...

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I thought I was still in the honeymoon period + 7 years after diagnosis , but how wrong I was ! I normally commute to work everyday by bicycle and on weekends , weather permitting, do some longish rides. I had 3 weeks off over Xmas and decided to give my bike a rest , only doing some daily running. It took me a while to work out whats going on when I was getting biazzare BS spikes and my fasting BS was going crazy. In the end I had to increase my basal by almost 8 units.

I'm back at work , cycling regularly again and my BS is behaving. So i'm definately not in my honeymoon anymore !

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The most I’ve heard of is 11 years.

I’m at 2.5 years. Have eaten low carb since the beginning and have never needed insulin.

Gosh Fiona, that is interesting. Not even basal insulin? I find that I rarely need bolus for meals (I am quite low carb) but I do need to take 8 units of basal to keep my numbers within range in between meals. How is your A1c?