1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Honeymoon period maybe ending

Discussion in 'Type 1.5/LADA Diabetes' started by spage, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Sazla ,

When you snack on your 15g bar, what are your aprox BGs at the time?
    Are you correcting for any highs later after eating, even though you don't feel you need to inject fast acting at the time of the meal or snack?

Sounds to me a like you might be going a little "haywire" due to possible mistimed bolusing for whatever is consumed? If you feel you are on too much of a roller coaster?

I would agree that the lower the carb count, the lower the bolus. But the timing of the bolus is still key regarding it's working profile to deal with the carbs & protien metabolised & keep BGs relatively stable..

Your "honeymoon" may well be at an end? The little & often snacking may need revision.

Hope this helps!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. jamesfitz

jamesfitz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi now i dont do low carb i average around 200-300 carbs a day.

But I have worked out my insulin to carb ratio is 1 unit for 10g carbs.

I inject every time I eat however my fasting levels are ok at the moment so no need for lantus.

3. Red_Fox22

Red_Fox22 Type 2 · Active Member

My A1C started to creep up (to 59) last October ( almost two years after diagnosis) and my consultant wanted to start me on small amounts of insulin.

I had read about the recent trials of GLP1 agonists for LADA and persuaded him to let me try that first.

I started taking Trulicity in April and the results have been impressive. I eat a much more balanced diet that before which was very low carb and it permits so much more freedom. My latest A1C was 51 but that is now eating 200g of carbs a day vs maybe 30-60 before. Life is much more normal.

No firm medical research to show how long the effects are likely to last but I would recommend discussing it with your Dr as it is one injection a week and no risk of hypo.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook