Honeymoon period maybe ending

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, this is my first post here. I’m type 1 diagnosed 6 months ago. This is all very interesting reading to me. I’ve found that the kinder I am to my pancreas the better it performs. If I eat little and often, avoid high carb I need v little short acting. If I don’t then I need proportionally more short acting and I struggle to keep control. I’ve ended up here today as Christmas indulging has sent me hay wire and I’m looking for guidance.
Hi Alexandra. I try to put a positive slant on the food I eat and choose to eat high quality natural stuff. Every couple of hours I have a snack of approx 15g (snack bar, fruit etc). Whether or not I take insulin is dependent on where I am (bg wise) at the time. I have a small holding and do dog walking so I’m pretty active. On sedentary days it’s a very different story. The key to control for me is frequent testing and I look forward to getting the libre full time (I’ve only carried out a trial up until now)

Hi @Sazla ,

When you snack on your 15g bar, what are your aprox BGs at the time?
Are you correcting for any highs later after eating, even though you don't feel you need to inject fast acting at the time of the meal or snack?

Sounds to me a like you might be going a little "haywire" due to possible mistimed bolusing for whatever is consumed? If you feel you are on too much of a roller coaster?

I would agree that the lower the carb count, the lower the bolus. But the timing of the bolus is still key regarding it's working profile to deal with the carbs & protien metabolised & keep BGs relatively stable..

Your "honeymoon" may well be at an end? The little & often snacking may need revision.

Hope this helps!

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Could I ask do you eat low carb to maintain average BG of 5.5? I am 1.5yrs after LADA diagnosis and recently had to start Levemir as BG rising without eating. Thanks

Hi now i dont do low carb i average around 200-300 carbs a day.

But I have worked out my insulin to carb ratio is 1 unit for 10g carbs.

I inject every time I eat however my fasting levels are ok at the moment so no need for lantus.

Red_Fox22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My A1C started to creep up (to 59) last October ( almost two years after diagnosis) and my consultant wanted to start me on small amounts of insulin.

I had read about the recent trials of GLP1 agonists for LADA and persuaded him to let me try that first.

I started taking Trulicity in April and the results have been impressive. I eat a much more balanced diet that before which was very low carb and it permits so much more freedom. My latest A1C was 51 but that is now eating 200g of carbs a day vs maybe 30-60 before. Life is much more normal.

No firm medical research to show how long the effects are likely to last but I would recommend discussing it with your Dr as it is one injection a week and no risk of hypo.

Reactions: Speedbird