1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Honeymoon period maybe ending

Discussion in 'Type 1.5/LADA Diabetes' started by spage, Oct 3, 2019.

1. spage

spage LADA · Well-Known Member

So I got in contact with my community diabetes team as doctors are useless

Went for a blood test today. By my symptoms and what I’ve told them they suspect my honeymoon period is coming to an end. Not sure how I feel about it as it was expected at some point but we will wait and see

2. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I've been on insulin for the last 5 years of my honeymoon period and needed to increase the Basal dose and Bolus ratio during that time. This has slowed down so that's the measure I'm using to signal 'the end'. I've also doing a c-peptide test (privately) as a x-check.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with type 1 rather than LADA with a c-peptide below 0.2 nmol/l but I managed to stay off insulin for 2 years on honeymoon by not eating carbohydrates. During that time I had my c-peptide monitored every three months. I also tested my blood sugars at least 5 times a day and my blood ketones when my blood sugars stayed high and I felt unwell. It was clear when my honeymoon had ended. My c-peptide fell below 0.07 nmol/l and I couldn't get my blood sugars below 13 mmol/l and my ketones were building above 3 mmol/l. I walked into A&E and started insulin.

4. jamesfitz

jamesfitz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

stay on insulin from day 1 to extend the honeymoon period

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook