Honeymoon Period

mandedog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 4 months in from Type 1 or possibly 1.5 diagnosis following a DKA. Using Lantus and Novorapid. My blood sugars have been tending to run higher overnight 10-12 and also rise first thing which I assume is the dawn phenomenon. I have been gradually increasing my basal dose until settling at 11 units for the last 3 weeks and been fairly stable- around 8-9 on waking. But then the last 2 days my blood sugars have dropped overnight and although I have eaten my usual breakfast very little rise. Today and yesterday I had hypo 3.5 while at the gym in the morning meaning I could not drive home until it went up again with either dextrose or juice. I have reduced my bolus and increased my unit to carb ratio , and today reduced basal by 1 unit. Is this what 'honeymoon period' means? From what I can make out it means that I am still producing some insulin , but erratically - have I got that right?
Also, is it right that I should bolus even when I have low blood sugar to make sure I do not spike? It seems counter intuitive but I think I read that somewhere.
It has been a very steep learning curve so apologies if I have not got all the correct terminology or if these are silly questions!!!!

Last edited:

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi :)

In regards to bolusing when blood sugar is low we tend to treat the hypo first as the main concern and then inject to have our meal, I personally would reduce the bolus by half to 1 unit and not bolus in advance depending where my bloods were sitting after treating the original low, never inject fast acting when below 4
xx