"Honeymoon" period

jojojojo2012

My son is 6 and recently diagnosed, only under 5s are automatically offered the pump. He is also in the honeymoon period, started on levemir at 7u now down to 4.5 and 1:25 novo rapid. Am dreading when things start to change!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Omg...have they talked to you about carb counting meals to ensure your daughter can eat enough to cover the full one unit?

It really sounds as if a pump could be of use as they can dose down to 0.1 unit (my make.. Others may be different) or avery minimal background could be set. I cannot fathom out why you should be given a 1/2 unit pen and told not to lower from 1 unit to 1/2 unit if she went low..

I really hope that you get better advice on coping with this....and that your daughter is not going to feel awful again...as she did. Hope she comes out with you having a proper care plan..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My son is 6 and recently diagnosed, only under 5s are automatically offered the pump. He is also in the honeymoon period, started on levemir at 7u now down to 4.5 and 1:25 novo rapid. Am dreading when things start to change!
It depends on your CCG, ours is under 12...

Scoobyzoo

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I don't think they know what to do the highest she reaches is 12ish but the problem is within 4 hrs she starts to come back down and at times it is 4.0 so I recon if the half was used it would still creat the problem. I'm going to ask them about trying 1 unit of levemir again at night. I want them to run the full system checks but they will only do that if she goes low in hospital and I can't see that happening since she's just sitting about. It's dreadful I think they will let her out today with no conclusion :(

Scoobyzoo

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I still count the carbs and at times she would have 60-70 carbs. Within 2-4 hrs her sugars will be a guessing game it could be 4.0, 7.0, 11.0 anything really so to take insulin even a half unit with food could result in an overdose if foe example naturally she was coming in at 4.0.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has she been tested for coeliac disease? I found my blood sugars were very similar for most of my childhood and the drs couldnt fathom it until I was diagnosed with CD at 15 (no symptoms at all pre diagnosis)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is more than one type of test for coeliac, so which type of test(s) did she have?

There is also something called non-coeliac gluten sensitivity which doesn't show up in tests.

My advice would be to eliminate gluten from the diet for 30 days and then reintroduce to see if there's a reaction. Also bread is one of the highest glycemic index foods and spikes most diabetics' BG levels, regardless of their coeliac status.

R0SS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you to everyone for all your shared experiences.

scoobyzoo, how it was described to me as I too noticed those random ups and downs was that during the honeymoon period the pancreas still produces insulin but extremely erratically. It's this erratic behaviour that means it's tricky to know if you should give insulin or not as you can't predict how much insulin your body will produce or at what rate. Good thing is most of the time it will be back down to a reasonable range before the next meal since the insulin from pancreas eventually worked.
That's what I was told in my scenario. Have also been tested for various things including coeliac. Only thing that was slightly positive was anti-gad. I think this means I have a small number of insulin anti-bodies. I guess that makes it even trickier to use what insulin your body creates during honeymoon too.

R0SS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed In June 2013 so 11 months so far.
I think I am still in it (just) but I did increase my humalog doses last week to 1:15g from 1:30g but I still see the odd large spike. I think more Lantus may be required but I will leave that for my diabetes nurse tomorrow to decide as I really don't want hypos to start again or be below 5 so I cannot drive. Hypos usually only happen nowadays when I forget to snack in the afternoon. Usually 1 per week when I forget to have an afternoon snack.

R0SS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh and before 1:30g I used to be able to consume 30g carb before needing to count them and administer insulin. So it has been a gradual increase in insulin but very up and down readings throughout the journey.

young17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya iv only just rejoined on here after 6 years. I am in the honeymoon period i only have 8 units of lantus a day and nothing fast acting. Doctors are quite baffled by me as im into the 6th year of this! Hba1c is good average around 6mmols. Xx

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yea that's the problem, she is so active but has sat all day doing nothing so it is really pointless the readings will change when she gets home . I just don't get the 4.8 to 12.2 random readings!

@Scoobyzoo, I'm reading this thread much later. Did it settle down? Sounds as if she needed a tiny basal dose.

Lucy

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still in my honeymoon, but it's advancing. Dx June. I started out with basal and LCHF only on just 2u of basal and keeping to 30g carb a day, then over six months it crept up to 5u a day (3 in the morning and 2 at night). Now I take usually 2u NovoRapid before each meal, plus the 5u basal. So TDD 11-12 units.

Hoping if I keep to low carb and low BG levels that my doses won't rocket. I like nice low insulin doses! They probably will though.

Lucy

My basal is NPH Insulatard. It's not trendy, but I like it. Has a definite peak, but at these doses it's very gentle, and I've never hypo'd.

Last edited by a moderator: