Hoping I'm not diabetic

jamiejones10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys,

I was diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic in February of this year. I had the classic symptoms; thirst, dry mouth, lots of urinating. I went to hospital and a urine test showed high presence of ketones. I was given a small dose of insulin to bring my blood sugars down and then daily doses of novo rapid and a night time dose of lantus.

My HbA1c in February was 66.0.

Being told of all the potential problems associated with Type 1 diabetes inspired me. I joined a gym and began eating much more healthily. I was still taking the insulin injections that I was told to take, but kept feeling shakey and having headaches. When I checked my blood glucose levels, I was hypo's!

My diabetic nurse told me to reduce my doses and eventually, I came off of my insulin injections altogether. In fact, I haven't taken a single insulin injection, novo rapid or lantus, since March!

In April my HbA1c had gone down to 32.0 and when I was tested in July it had gone down to 23.0.
I've checked my blood glucose levels almost every day since I was diagnosed and I haven't gone above 7mmol in months, with my readings usually between 5-5.7mmol.

I feel terrific. Standing 6' 3" i weighed 15.6 stone in February but now weigh 13.8 stone.
I was told I could be in the 'honeymoon phase', but if I am? How long does it last?
I pray that I'm not diabetic but fear the moment that it could come back at any time and I'd go back to injections and feeling lethargic and terrible. This is the best I've felt in years and I don't want it to end.

Is there anyone out there who can relate? or know of anyone misdiagnosed or anything even remotely similar to what I'm going through? Because at the moment, the not knowing is unbearable and I just want to know with absolute certainty so I don't have to keep trying to convince myself that I'm some sort of miracle person!

Btw, I'm 25 years old and there is no family history of type 1 diabetes. The only person in my family who has diabetes is my Grandma who has type 2.

Apologies for the essay and I appreciate any insight anyone can give.
Thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
What was your diagnosis of being a T1 based on? Did you have any other tests apart from blood glucose levels?

Your lifestyle changes will have helped you although I believe it's highly unusual to come off insulin once started. If you are now producing enough of your own insulin to keep your sugars down and it is part of a honeymoon period, this can last for weeks, months or even years - there's no definitive answer.

jamiejones10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What was your diagnosis of being a T1 based on? Did you have any other tests apart from blood glucose levels?

Your lifestyle changes will have helped you although I believe it's highly unusual to come off insulin once started. If you are now producing enough of your own insulin to keep your sugars down and it is part of a honeymoon period, this can last for weeks, months or even years - there's no definitive answer.

Hi, thanks for the response.

I was diagnosed based on my age, the fact I wasn't obese (so they categorically ruled out type 2), my symptoms and the fact I had high ketones and a HbA1c of 66.0.
But i've been doing ketone tests at home and none have been higher than 0.3 and my HbA1c is now 23.0 and I haven't used insulin in months.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I also experienced the your tall and slim so you must be a T1 diagnosis. Subsequent tests proved the diagnosis to be correct, however we have many people on the forums who can attest to being slim T2's.

I also think that you can have ketones in your blood if you are a T2, it's not an experience that's exclusive to T1's.

A full investigation ought to include a GAD antibody test and a C-Peptide test. So yet another possibility for you is that you are wrongly diagnosed T2 and your lifestyle changes have got it under control. If that's the case, then well done and keep it up. I'm sure some others will stop by and offer advice soon.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could ask for a GAD test to look for Anyibodies associated with Type 1. If I was you, that is what I'd do. You might also want to,ask about the possibility of LADA which tends to come on more slowly.

I too only have one other relative with Type 1. It's 20% genetic, 80% environmental, I was told.

As @urbanracer has said, the honeymoon can last for months or even a year plus. As long as you're doing blood tests, including after meals, so you can monitor what's going on (higher results after meals can be a sign of the honeymoon ending) then don't worry : )

lolabunny876

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

I am so happy I am not the only one going through this. I was diagnosed with Type 1 2 months ago and am continuously being told I am in the honeymoon period and this will eventually die out. I have managed to completely control and stabilise my blood sugars by just adjusting my exercise and diet routine, and whenever I take my insulin (also Novorapid and Lantus) even if it's just 1 unit, I usually hypo. I too am praying I'm not diabetic, or there is some sort of misdiagnosis present. Fingers crossed

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ask for a GAD test if there's any doubt @lolabunny876
We're all different. Some people don't have much of a honeymoon at all, but others have a longer one. All you can do is keep testing and see how things go : )
Are you counting carbs and adjusting your insulin to match? If not, do ask to be taught how to do that. If you don't already have one, you might also like to ask for a half unit pen. When you're on small doses of insulin, it can make things much easier.

lolabunny876

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ask for a GAD test if there's any doubt @lolabunny876
We're all different. Some people don't have much of a honeymoon at all, but others have a longer one. All you can do is keep testing and see how things go : )
Are you counting carbs and adjusting your insulin to match? If not, do ask to be taught how to do that. If you don't already have one, you might also like to ask for a half unit pen. When you're on small doses of insulin, it can make things much easier.

Definitely thinking of asking for a half unit pen, I think this would be a great help. As for the carb counting, I have seen doing so but I am finding it a little confusing.. I am going back to university very soon so have to wait until I'm back there until I can request educational courses. Thanks for the advice

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are lots of Type 1s here who can help with carb counting :) I also found it useful to scribble notes on my favourite recipes so I don't have to re-count carbs each time. If you don't have any, a good set of digital scales are very useful too. I weigh my cereal every morning - takes seconds and means my blood sugar is pretty predictable afterwards.

Depending on what insulin you're on, the name of the half unit pen will vary. If you get at all stuck, just ask : )

And welcome to the forum :)