Horrendous morning highs!

sssjay22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all. Spurred on by this forum, I have decided to get my blood glucose more strictly controlled. I'm 25 doing basal bolus regime. I have been lowcarbing since January and that made a remarkable difference to my last few hba1c's.
Recently I was noticing evening high blood levels especially before bed time almost every night (always above 10, usually around 15) even though I had totted up what is eaten for dinner with accuracy using scales! I am on levemir and always took one injection just before I went to bed. For the last week I have split the doses to he 8 units when I wake and 8 units at dinner, my blood levels before bed have now been excellent! However, for the last 2 mornings I have woken up to extremely high blood sugars, today my meter just said HI... I've not had a blood sugar that bad for over 6 years so feel so rubbish about it!
Can anyone help me with what's going on? Before I went to bed at 11pm my sugar was 7.1 however I was awake till 2 as I was watching stuff but did not feel myself going higher or having w hypo (I have good hypo awareness).
Sorry for the ramble but just haven't got a clue what is happening :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Set your alarm for 2am and see what your bg levels are like, by rights if your basal insulin is set at the right dose your bg shouldn't fluctuate by more than 1.6mmol/l.

sssjay22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Set your alarm for 2am and see what your bg levels are like, by rights if your basal insulin is set at the right dose your bg shouldn't fluctuate by more than 1.6mmol/l.
So are my morning highs due to 'liver dump' potentially? I never thought it could pump out enough insulin to send me into the HI level!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So are my morning highs due to 'liver dump' potentially? I never thought it could pump out enough insulin to send me into the HI level!

Not sure what you mean, do you mean the Somogyi Effect or DP?

Either way you have to do some basal tests to determine what's happening to your bg levels during the night, it's not nice having a disturbed sleep but it's worth it to get decent waking bg levels.

sssjay22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure what you mean, do you mean the Somogyi Effect or DP?

Either way you have to do some basal tests to determine what's happening to your bg levels during the night, it's not nice having a disturbed sleep but it's worth it to get decent waking bg levels.
The somogyi effect. Never had DP as pronounced as this!
It's just how high it's gone that's so worrying, never experienced a high like it :(
Yeh will test, think I may my evening dose by 1 unit as I put it up by 1 recently to combat previous highs

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You could change your insulin cartridges if these high's are a recent event.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The somogyi effect. Never had DP as pronounced as this!
It's just how high it's gone that's so worrying, never experienced a high like it :(
Yeh will test, think I may my evening dose by 1 unit as I put it up by 1 recently to combat previous highs
You should still check through the night to understand what is going on.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
It could also be that you need more insulin overnight. Many who split their doses find it is not a 50/50 split that they need. If your bloods are ok at the 2am test it could be dawn phenomenon and that doesn't tend to kick in until 5-6am for some people so the spike could be hidden by the 2am.