Hospital advised GP I shouldn't be driving?!?!?

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Hetty28 Have you tried a different insulin? It might be worth trying a non-analogue human insulin or an animal insulin. Different insulins suit different people.

I have a pump and use porcine insulin.

Azure- great to have this forum as I had no idea porcine still existed?! I was on human on diagnosis (1986!) but with hypos shortly afterwards moved to porcine and had a great experience until I was told it was discontinued - I was told only human available but apparently the human was much better than when I was little and I had to come off my porcine...I'll get researching!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Azure- great to have this forum as I had no idea porcine still existed?! I was on human on diagnosis (1986!) but with hypos shortly afterwards moved to porcine and had a great experience until I was told it was discontinued - I was told only human available but apparently the human was much better than when I was little and I had to come off my porcine...I'll get researching!

That's totally untrue! I've been told misleading 'facts' about insulin too.

Porcine insulin is freely available (as is bovine):

http://www.wockhardt.co.uk/our-products/our-brands.aspx

Donr be put off if you want to try it again. It's wrong of medical staff to assume anything newer is better.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you. Wonder why they said this?! It was around 1999...

I'm not sure. I do know there was a major push away from older insulins. I was told I had to use Lantus and refused. It's a pity they don't listen to Type 1s about what actually suits us.

I think DUK did a huge drive to make sure animal insulins remained for those who wanted or needed them.

If you meet any resistance, contact IDDT above - they helped me a lot :)

Reactions: London36_