Hospital Fines

leahkian

I was watching a program on how the government fine hospitals if they have to readmit a person within 30 days of last been in hospital( i may be wrong on the time frame). We see on a daily basis that the NHS is at breaking point and fining them seems to to me rather stupid,, in the last budget the NHS was to get a extra 6 billion pound a year but is this money just been giving back from the fines that the hospitals have paid. So in real terms its not extra it is just the same money given back but we are led to believe that they have give extra cash. I have been for my renal appointment today i seen a nurse who works in the renal department and asked her had she naughty as she was doing BP and urine tests when she was in charge of the unit but she had retired but was doing a couple of bank shifts to ease her into retirement and then said she was getting more for 2 shifts than she did for 4 shifts when she was full time. Then she said that the unit always had 2 shifts for her every week, i think this shows just how bad the NHS is being run. The currant government do not seem to have a long term plan and we have less bed per 1000 people than most of Europe, we have a man running our health service who is failing most of the country but also have a PM who does not have the power to sack him. To me for someone to run the NHS you need someone who has worked on the frontline and has seen what it needs to survive not a man who keeps saying everything is fine when no matter what news you see or read tells a different story. I have been lucky or unlucky to have had some of the best consultants that Europe has had to offer and can see how dedicated these people are but they will burn out soon if there is no long term plan in health and social care. Think of the money the government spends on the DUP. Brexit, doing parliment, the queens home and last and the most waste of money the house of lords £300 a day with free food and drink, then they all go back in for a nap. We laughed at America when Trump got in but at least the American people are trying to do something while we wait to watch the NHS die, contracts been given to companys that are going bust and a government that is not fit for purpose. We are one of the leading nations living in a third world country. Well that is my rant over

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I retired from nursing in the NHS after 36yrs in August ‘16. I couldn’t bear it any longer, we were so stressed out every shift. We were expected to do more and more work with less and less resources. We often missed meal breaks or didn’t even have enough time to have a drink or visit the toilet. Since I left many of my colleagues have followed, even the ward manager. I fear for the continuing survival of the NHS. As you say fining is ridiculous, patients are being discharged too early to free up beds, of course they’ll end up being readmitted. I was actually one of them just before Xmas, I had an operation and was ‘encouraged’ to go home the same night even though I knew that having had a similar op ten years ago I would struggle to control the post op pain at home. They were more interested in getting the ward closed for Xmas, to reduce bed numbers in the hospital. My husband had to take me to A/E that night in severe pain and finally ended up back in the orthopaedic hospital the next morning :mad: