Hospital Stay

SallyRit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am now 24w+3 with first baby - can't believe I've got this far!!

I have to travel over an hour to the hospital where I see the diabetic consultants and where I will be having the baby.

My question is: how long should I expect to stay in hospital and also what should I pack in my hospital bag?? I know it depends on a lot of things, but just to give me an idea?

Thanks everyone...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and congratulations @SallyRit :)

To be honest it's impossible to predict how long your stay will be, I ended up in hospital for a week after giving birth but only expected to be there a few days, if you think in terms of a few days and if you need topping up with clean night clothes and underwear then your family can take care of this, it's a night away + breast and sanitary pads/toiletries, book/magazines, going home clothes and anything you wish really !

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello and many congratulations on the successful production of your bump so far. I am very excited for you!!
My 3 stays were of about 1-3 weeks because I had a premature baby with short stays in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. I recovered well from my C sections but these necessitated at least 3 days to get me mobile. With no.1 I had a few days clamped to a hospital bed with pre eclampsia and a good book or magazine would have helped there! (was admitted after a check up when my bp shot up so please be aware that you will be at higher risk of this happening with the resulting early admission).
So it is the big unknown based on plans that may change. Have your bag ready early with plenty of diabetes gear, snacks and all the usual things people will remind you of (headphones, sanitary pads, nursing bras). Don't expect the hospital to supply you with insulin, test strips etc. and I mention food because the hospital variety isn't to be relied upon. I hope your partner will be able to stay nearby rather than need to travel 2 hours each way too as you will need some support whilst 'in' . Best of luck with your Winter baby in any case.

Reactions: SallyRit

Abbybarford

Hi I had a baby six weeks ago and had a natural birth, I stayed in 24 hours. It a depends on the birth but roughly if all is okay with you and baby you will go home within 24 hours.

I would pack at least 4-5 babygrows and vests. I only took 3 and she threw up on two in the space of an hour being born lol. I would also pack plenty of nappies, baby wipes and a few cellular blankets. I packed way too much for myself and baby and never used half of it. Also take lots of snacks as hypos are common and regular the first few hours after birth.

I can give a more detailed list if you need one

Reactions: SallyRit

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I was in for just over a week.

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was in for 6 days with my first - 4 days for induction and then 2 for csection recovery.

With my 2nd I went in for 2 days for steroids then section on the 3rd, home on the 4th!